19. survival of the fittest

Jade's leg bounced rhythmically up and down, her knee brushing against Alex's every few seconds. Her hands rested on her stomach and her gaze was fixed on the wall opposite her.

Two rows of anxious residents, interns, and nurses sat along the walls in front of the door to the conference room.

"Someone's getting fired," Reed spoke up first.

"Stop it," Kepner immediately sighed out.

"She wasn't even my patient," Charles complained.

"What?" Cristina asked annoyedly.

"Nothing," he snapped back.

"How long is this gonna take?" Jade asked no one in particular, checking the small watch on her wrist.

"Why, you need to make a phone call?" Jackson mocked from the seat across her, making Charles snicker.

"You really want to start? I've been looking for a reason to punch you all week," she leaned forward in her chair.

"Please," he said, same smug little smile still on his face as he stared at her.

Her anger got the better of her and she set off a chain reaction. Once she was up, a fistful of his scrub collar in her hand, everyone was up. Alex had pushed himself in front of her, Charles had rushed to Jacksons side, Lexie and April were both trying to break it up.

Attending's had rushed over, pushing themselves in between them and trying to pull them apart.

"Enough!" Webber's voice bellowed over the noise. "I said enough. What happened here tonight, what happened to that patient was inexcusable. And we're gonna be here 'till I find out who's responsible for it. So until then you will sit down, you will shut up, and you will wait to be called."

They were silent, like children getting caught fighting on the playground by the principal.

"Hunt," Webber said, giving them all one last look before going back into the conference room.

"These Seattle Grace people are kinda douchey."

Jade closed her eyes in annoyance at the sound of Jackson's voice. She ignored him and kept the phone pressed to her ear.

"Just ignore them," she sighed out when she caught Alex staring back at them, defeatedly lowering the phone from her ear when she was once again met with the voice mail.

"Still nothing?" He asked, training his eyes back on her as the nurse undid the tourniquet from around his arm.

"Yeah," she shoved her phone back in her pocket deciding 12 calls may have been enough for one day.

Their pagers went off simultaneously, mass casualty in the pit, and they followed Jackson down to the ER.

They tied each others gowns as they made their way outside to the herd of ambulances before separating. 

"Henry Grace, 29, mild burns to the calf and torso," the paramedic listed off as he handed the chart to Jade.

They wheeled him into the overcrowded ER, through the chaos, passed a mother and her wandering son before transferring him onto an ER bed.

Jade did a standard exam but he wasn't surgical and there were too many bodies in the ER.

"Take over here, Coleman," she said to her former intern, handing her the chart. "Page plastics for the burns. Check in when you're done."

"Hey, you free? I need a hand," Torres spoke to her quickly as they wheeled another patient toward an empty bed.

"Yeah," Jade nodded eagerly, slipping her gloves off.