"It was worth my...."

[ At the vet ]

"The cat is fine now. But she needs sufficient rest and supervision" says the doctor.

"Yes I will make sure of that. But doc can you tell what caused the injury?"  San asks with a worried expression.

"I think I should be the one asking you that,no?" the doc asks raising one of his brows and giving San a side eye.

"Oh no It's not what you think it is. She was already injured when i found her. I wouldn’t ever..wait is that what it is?" San clears the misundersating and raises another question.

"It seems she was hit by a blunt object and one of her legs has a previous injury too" the doctor says petting the stomach of the cat lightly.

"How pathetic" San says in an angry tone with his brows creased.

"Indeed.I've seen many cases of animal abuse, sad to say there are worse cases than this. At least one every day. Stray animals to pets all having the same fate" the doctor replies with a sigh.

"There also have been cases where someone actually beat up a stray by  'accident' then brought them here only because there were witnesses or because they were 'guilty' " adds the doctor.

"It's..."

"He's not lying doctor, he even fell into a hole and got injured trying to save the cat" you cut off San abruptly and reply, pointing at San's injured ankle.

"...."

"...."

The doctor and San both follows where your hand is pointing and an awkward silence falls between you guys as you look between the doctor and San only to slowly hang your head low and retrieve your hand to your side.

"Sorry I didn't mean to..."

"Thanks y/n" this time San cuts you off.

"Hmm...I belive you young man and sorry for suspecting you. I was just testing if you were being honest or not" the doctor clears his throat and replies diverting your and San's attention to him.

"So can I take the cat with me?" San asks curiously.

"Do you have a cat or any other pet?"

"No,I was thinking of adopting a cat just a few days ago. Good thing I found her. I'll adopt her" San replies brimming with enthusiam.

"I'm afraid you will not be able to take care of an injured cat since you’ve never owned a pet in general. I think she should stay and rest here for a few days and once she gets better I'll contact you" the doctor replies suggestively.

"Ofcourse doc. I'll leave my number here" San replies with a smile.

"Then. Let's go y/n. Ahh!!" All this while San was sitting on a chair but he seemed to have forgotten about his sprained ankle and stood up too fast.He was on the process of falling when...

"Got you" you caught him by his hand and exclaim as if you’ve made a century.

"...."

"...."

Another awkward silence...

"Do be careful young man" the doctor broke the silence with what seemed a faint smile on his face.

"Thanks again Y/N and sorry for causing you trouble" San replied with a boyish grin.

"It's nothing" you reply as you steady San and put his right arm around your shoulder as you hug his waist exactly like how you had held him up after pulling him out of the hole.

As soon as you steady him San limps forward and gets closer to the cat with you in tow.

"Get well soon kitty. I'll take you home in a few days" he lightly kisses the cat's bandaged forhead who was now asleep.

"Then We'll get going doc. See you in a few days" San says as he turns back with you and moves to the door.

"By the way you did a very good thing today, young man by saving and bringing this cat here. Your deed is praise worthy" the doctor exclaims proudly.

"It is something everyone should do. Helping innocent animals. I'm just glad I found her in time"

"Hmm.. take care of yourself too" the doctor replies pointing at San's ankle with his eyes.

"Would do. Then see you" San replies with a hand salute.

[ After the hospital visit ]

(It turns out San's sprain is a little bit serious this time. He had to wear an ankle cast and was told to be on complete rest for 2 weeks. Yet San still insisted on taking you "somewhere". But you didn’t budge.)

* outside at the bench of a park near the hospital*

"I've called a cab" you say to San turning at him to see his gloomy face.

"I'm sorry" he replies in a sullen tone not even looking at you.

"You’ve said it for the zillionth time. It's okay accidents happen" you try to console him.

"If only it hadn’t been for that hole"

"Still you did a good thing today by saving the cat"

"Yes for that you can say it was worth my ankle"

"Pfft" that last line kind of sounded funny so you burst out in laughter.

"Hahahahha" San also starts laughing because of you.

"Sorry I didn't mean to laugh at your misery" you say as you forcefully try to stop your laughter.

"I guess it was also worth my misery because at least it made you laugh" San replies not even trying to stop himself from laughing.

Siddenly you notice his smiling face, with dimples popping on both side of his cheeks, his smiling eyes, his giggles...they made your heart flutter. Even though today you guys couldn't go on a proper date you still had fun being with him. Felt so comfortable around him that you almost forgot the fact that he has been your crush for the past three years. The one who you couldn't even talk to normally before was now sitting beside you, laughing at his and your own silliness.

You didn't even realize when you stopped laughing and instead started observing his beaming face and so a faint smile carved itself on your lips.