Chapter 18 - The Surprise

"Surprises are foolish things. The pleasure is not enhanced, and the inconvenience is often considerable." - Jane Austen

It was a pleasant Christmas Day. Despite the chill in the air, we traveled to church, for, it was a tradition. The church was beautiful inside. Poinsettias flanked each side of the pews giving the otherwise dull church a festive feel. I had chosen to wear a white silk dress with a gathered bodice. The dress had sheer lace sleeves and a long green ribbon down the back. The dress was light and ethereal. I felt beautiful in it.

We all sat in a pew, occupying the entire row. I sat between Jane and Kitty. Lydia had given me the cold shoulder all morning and had advised Kitty to do the same. If what I said about Mr. Wickham had irked her, she must have already been in trouble of the acutest form. I tried to listen to the sermon, but Kitty kept on sending me messages from Lydia.

"Why do you think Mr. Wickham would not care about my interest in him?"

"What?" I whispered, "Not you too!"

"No," Kitty whispered back, "Lydia would like to know."

I shrugged, "He does not seem genuine. I think he is hiding something." My mother sent me a stern look, and I lowered my voice, "He does not appear to be a gentleman."

"Why do you believe he is not a gentleman?"

"I don't know. It's a feeling I get."

Lydia turned to me, "You've been wrong before, Lizzy."

"Then," I looked at Lydia, "for your sake, let us hope I am wrong."

After the church services the Christmas dinner, that Mrs. Bennet had ordered, was ready at the dining table. This was not just a dinner. It was a great feast. At the center of the table was a pig's head. I would most likely be skipping that. There was goose with stuffing. There were roast beef and venison also. Side dishes flanked the meat and consisted of potatoes, squash, roasted brussels sprouts, and carrots. The front door opened and closed. We were expecting the Lucases to join us shortly, but we were not anticipating them to come so soon.

Our servant appeared in the archway ready to tell us who was calling on us. Mrs. Bennet looked at the servant, her brow creased, "Who could that be this early?"

"It is rather early!" Kitty stated.

The servant came to me and said, "A Mr. Darcy is here to see you, ma'am."

"Me?" I asked.

"You?" Lydia looked at me in shock. "What about me?"

The servant shook her head, "He asked for Miss Elizabeth."

Lydia sank into a chair and crossed her arms. She pouted until Mrs. Bennet ordered her to leave the room for fear that her mannerisms would ruin the day. Mrs. Bennet addressed me, "What are you waiting for Lizzy? Go to him! Go to Mr. Darcy."

***

I walked into the sitting room to find Mr. Darcy standing with his back to me. He turned around and bowed and I returned the sentiment. I watched him as he stood before me and waited for him to say something, anything. After some deliberation, he took his top hat off and stepped towards me, "Miss Elizabeth."

"Mr. Darcy." Disconcerted, I inquired, "Why have you come? Is something wrong? I thought you were in London."

"I was."

"Oh."

We stood there staring at each other. I felt so vulnerable and undisguised. He knew how I felt because I had stupidly let him know. And now, here he stood before me as if he wanted to cause me further humiliation. I wanted to ask him if he had stopped by to tell me more about how vulgar my family and I were. But, what I desired to do and what I did were two different things. I found myself wordless and transfixed by the fact that he had come to Longbourn. A place I was sure he deemed beneath him. He was, after all, no longer in Grosvenor Square. What had he come here to do? Was it to apologize? Had he come just to see me, to make sure that his principles were correct?