Chapter 12 - Meeting Mr. Wickham

"Nothing is more deceitful than the appearance of humility. It is often only carelessness of opinion, and sometimes an indirect boast." - Jane Austen

Meryton was a village about one mile away from Longbourn. It was not a large community. In fact, there was just one street with stores and a tavern. But, it was the sole way to catch up on gossip. We had slipped out before Mr. Collins could suggest himself as a chaperone. He had been talking, without cessation, to father. Father wanted to be alone and had suggested Mr. Collins come along with us. Lydia was bothered by the thought of spending any more time with this silly man. She proposed that we leave the house as soon as possible to avoid being seen with him.

"I do not want to be seen with him," Lydia whined, "I have a reputation to uphold. Mr. Denny is sure to be there!"

"Who is Mr. Denny?" asked Mary.

"An officer!" Kitty giggled.

Lydia squealed, "Look, there he is, and he's with another officer!"

Kitty gasped, "The other officer is handsomer than he!"

Lydia smiled mischievously, "Let's go to the dress shop. It is close to where they are walking. Perhaps, they will see us and stop to talk."

Lydia's scheme worked causing Mr. Denny's line of vision to settle upon her. This obligated him to greet her and introduce his friend. I knew who the friend was. I had read this part of the book several times. But, in this instant, I was not clouded by prejudice. I knew he was not to be trusted.

Mr. Denny and his friend bowed. "Miss Lydia, Miss Kitty," Mr. Denny motioned towards his friend, "Permit me to introduce, Officer George Wickham."

Lydia introduced us, "These are my elder sisters, Miss Mary, Miss Elizabeth, and Miss Jane."

"I have heard talk in the village of the beautiful Bennet sisters. I confess the description I was given pales in comparison," said Wickham.

He was good! Thank goodness, I knew his character, or I would have been in deep trouble. "What brings all the infamous Bennet sisters to Meryton?" asked Wickham.

I snorted, "Infamy is something you would know about."

"What do you mean?" asked Wickham, suspicion lacing his features.

"She's always saying silly things!" Lydia gave a fake little laugh, glaring at me, "Lizzy, why don't you, Jane and Mary start shopping? Kitty and I will meet you at the dress store."

What made her think that she could order me around as if I were the younger sister? I smiled the sweetest smile I could manage and said, "But, Lydia, you are only fifteen years of age. I would not want to leave you alone. Mama wanted us all to find our dresses together, after all."

Lydia turned pale and scowled at me. It served her right. I heard the rhythmic beat of horse hooves upon the street. Darcy and Bingley were riding their horses into town. Bingley smiled as he saw us in the distance. He looked at Darcy and said something to him. They rode over to us and dismounted.

After exchanging pleasantries, Bingley said, "It is a beautiful day for being outside."

"Yes," smiled Jane, "the sun is shining down on all of us."

Darcy and Mr. Wickham exchanged looks. If looks could kill, they both would have been struck dead. Wickham tipped his hat to give salutations; yet, Darcy deigned to return the gesture. I was not surprised after everything Wickham had done to his kin. Mr. Bingley did not notice their exchange for he only had eyes for Jane. "We must get going now," said Darcy, not meeting my eyes.

"Why must you leave?" I asked, "Do you have anything better to do?"

Darcy, amused by my inquiry, responded, "My work is never complete."

I beamed, "Join my sisters and I. We are looking for dresses for the ball."

"I cannot conceive of anything else I'd rather do," Darcy smirked.

"Fine." I laughed, "I will choose a hideous color because you did not help me."

Bingley snickered, "Darcy, I think she would do that."

"Yes," Darcy looked at me, "I would not hold it past her. But, I think she should choose the color green."

I hoped this was encouragement enough because I did not have it in me to continue. I was as cordial as I could have been. But, Lydia was the real flirt in the family. She knew how to encourage without even lifting a finger. I hoped this would not get her into trouble.

~~~

If you enjoyed this chapter, please consider voting!