Chapter 6

CHAPTER 6

XAVIER

"You were sick!" I exclaimed to Makayla.

"It wasn't that good." Makayla mumbled sheepishly.

"Are you kidding? You were wicked! I've taught you well, if I do say so myself." I cried placing my arms lightly on her shoulders. We both stopped walking and I looked into her eyes. For a second I thought I saw a flash of recognition but it was gone as quickly as it had come.

"We better get going." Makayla whispered breaking the silence and looking away.

"Why can't we just stay here?" I asked. "I don't want to go home yet."

"What do you mean by that exactly?" She asked smiling a cheeky grin.

"This place is awesome, I don't want to go back home to boringness." I replied. Her face fell and all of a sudden I felt really bad. "Is there something wrong?"

"Nothing, don't you even worry." She said icily. "Let's go,"

"Did I say something to upset you?" I asked.

"No, not really, kind of." She muttered under her breath.

"What is it?" I questioned lightly. "I want to know."

"You just...ugh." She groaned. "You don't get girls do you?"

"What are you talking about, please tell me. I'm clueless." I pleaded softly.

"You've got that right." She muttered.

Pretending I wasn't offended by her words I grabbed her hand. "Tell me, please. I'd really like to know how I've upset you."

"Why, so you know how to irritate me?" She almost growled.

"Please, Kayla." I begged.

"I wanted...I mean I just...I thought that you were going to..." I didn't need a full sentence to know what she was aiming at.

"Oh Kayla, I'm sorry." I sighed.

"Don't worry, I'm so stupid, I don't know why I thought that." She argued again. "It's not your fault if you don't feel the same way."

"I...I don't know how I feel." I admitted.

"Well, let me know when you do." She said sounding hurt again.

"Don't get mad Kayla; I don't like seeing you upset. I like you too much to see you sad. It almost breaks my heart." Her face lightened a little and when she didn't speak I took the opportunity. "I am clueless, very dumb when it comes to girls, especially the ones I do like. You'll have to right me a list or something, so I can't muck up again."

She smiled and pulled me along. "Drive me home and I'll think about forgiving you."

When I arrived back home Damon and Chris were waiting for me.

"Where have you been, Mister?" Damon demanded. "We've been worried sick."

"It's only five in the afternoon. The sun's still out." I reminded them.

"Yeah I know, I just thought it would be fun to tell you off." Damon laughed.

"Clearly," I muttered.

"So what did you two kids do today?" He questioned.

"Went for a surf, I fixed her head when she fell off then we went to a water park." I told them honestly.

"Did you kiss her?" Chris asked eagerly.

"No but I think she wanted me to." I laughed. "I got in trouble."