Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1 

MAKAYLA

I watched in awe as he gracefully danced across the forest from tree to tree thinking that nothing on earth could be more beautiful. His jet black hair matched his sweet, golden eyes perfectly. Last winter he came right up to the front porch steps and just sat there. My mother was saying how calm and peaceful wolves were but my dad was the complete opposite.

My parents were always arguing. Mum liked to stay in her office for the majority of the day writing and dad was always at work. My mother was a wildlife photographer and writer. That’s why we moved here in the first place, to get pictures of the forest wildlife. It was a good job and it meant that she was always home but really, she may as well be at an office in the city. I never see her.

I didn’t care too much. I just got lonely sometimes.

Sometimes I felt like the only thing I could rely on was my wolf. Whenever I was feeling lonely and sad I’d see his golden eyes and I’d feel safe again.

When I was eight I decided to name him. Scruffy was all I could come up with. But over the years I realized that the name didn’t exactly fit him. After all he was a wild wolf. Now I call him Loup. I know, that’s just as bad but I couldn’t come up with anything even remotely better. It’s wolf in French.

It was cold outside, the beginning of summer but around here it might as well be winter. It was cold all year round. The only good side about the cold, Loup loved it. I saw him most in the winter. Everyday I’d see him trot down and sneak around my front yard, just watching. I know that should creep me out, but it doesn’t. It makes me feel safer. More like he’s standing guard.

He was always alone. Sometimes the rest of his pack would come with him. When they did Loup was always at the back. The leader was obviously the biggest and seeing him didn’t make me want to run and hide either. He was big and muscly and while his hair was dark it wasn’t as black as Loup’s.

No matter how many times I saw them, they still never approached me.

I was supposed to be doing my math homework. But I couldn’t, I was too distracted by him. My mother was in her office, like always and dad was watching a game of football at his mate’s house. I was practically alone.

I grabbed my camera from the table in front of me and threw on a jacket before I walked outside. As I walked down the front porch steps I turned on the camera and started snapping a few shots of the trees and the way my wolf hid behind them. But soon enough, I got bored. I moved closer.

He didn’t flinch at all. He was as calm as anything.

“It’s alright; I would never hurt you Loup.” I said calmly reaching out towards him with shaky fingers. This time he let me touch him.

He was so soft and warm. The feel of his fur between my fingers was magical. I never wanted to let go. He bowed his head and I scratched his neck softly. I took a few close ups of his eyes and face before dropping the camera and patting him again.

“Makayla, where are you?” My mother called. Her voice ran out through the open front door. It didn’t take long for her to spot me. “Oh there you ar…What are you doing out here?” She asked tilting her head to the side like she does when she’s confused.

The curls of her short brown hair fell into her blue eyes, brushing over her freckles.

I turned back to look for my wolf but he had disappeared. “I…I don’t know.”

I shook my head and followed her back inside, shrugging out of my jacket and tossing it onto the couch.

"Why on earth were you out in the cold, I thought you were doing homework?" She said raising her eyebrows.