Chapter 17

Chapter 17

*Makayla*

I was asleep but at the same time, I was aware of everything around me. I could feel eyes watching me and hear voices mumbling. I was in agony and I was almost certain that I was dead except for the hand gripping mine with great force.

I tried with all of my strength to open my eyes but they seemed as if they were glued shut. They weren’t opening anytime soon.

The person holding my hand had a deep voice, a male and he was humming a sweet tune that I didn’t recognise. At first, I thought it was a lullaby but it seemed deeper than the rock-a-by baby melody.

“I’m here hermoso. I’m here for you.” He cooed softly. I knew the voice it was Damon’s.

This time when I tried to open my eyes it worked. “Damon…”

He squeezed my hand and I tried to sit up. “Stay down Kayla, you’re okay.”

I nodded and relaxed a little bit. Damon rested his forehead against mine. “We sorted everything out Kayla, everything’s fine.”

I felt my cheek muscles ache as I tried to smile. “That’s good.”

I heard a little giggle and I saw Mindy walk in holding Chris’s hand. “How are you feeling?”

I nodded again and breathed in some air. “I feel numb. It’s agony.”

Damon chuckled quietly. “I bet it’s killing you, not being able to feel.”

I shook my head. “I can feel your hand on mine.”

He smiled and I turned back to Mindy.

“So you’re hanging in there?” Chris wondered.

I nodded.

Mindy brushed some hair off my face and sighed. “We can’t stay long; you’re only going to pass out again.”

I groaned. “Why?”

“Because that’s just the way it is sweetie.” Mindy smiled and turned to Chris. “Well we better leave don’t you think?”

Chris nodded then waved me goodbye and they left the room chatting and laughing together.

“Is there anything you need? Do you want to see Paul?” Damon asked looking into my eyes.

I shook my head. “I don’t want any of that.”

“But there is something you want?” He asked smiling wickedly.

I grinned and tried to nod. “You know me so well.” Then I paused and tried to keep myself from tearing up. “I want to see my mother.”

He nodded once and stood up. “I’ll let Paul know.”

I sighed and nodded feeling better already.

*Damon*

Xavier stopped me in the hallway with his arms crossed.

“What is your problem Xavier?” I asked matching his posture.

He shrugged and glared at me. “I was about to ask you the same question.”

“Why?” I asked him.

“Look man, you stole my girl, that’s not cool. We’re going to settle this once and for all.” He told me wearing a very heartless smile.

“Dude, I didn’t steal her from you. She was never yours in the first place. I’d won this fight before it even began. She’s my mate Xavier.” I told him. “The quicker you learn the better it’ll be for everyone.”