A regular day

Dean's POV

“Good morning Mr. Scott. Today we have a lunch appointment with Mr. Blake, at 2 pm.” My secretary Ms. Park followed me to my cabin as she started to remind me of my meetings for today.

“Did chairman returned today?” I asked her with some irritation in my voice.

“No. Chairman didn’t returned from his trip to China. Just few minutes ago his secretary reported that chairman will extend his trip for another month and he’s traveling to India today.”

That’s all it takes me to loose my temper. But I can’t loose it with the wrong person.

I, Dean Scott became the CEO of my dad’s company. My dad... No... The chairman seems to be very busy with his world trips than taking care of his own company. Because of his absence for the past 3 years, I’m in a very difficult position to handle the cunning foxes who wants to takeover this company which my dad built with so much of difficulties.

I can’t blame my dad in this too. But what should I do? Everything changed... Everything changed dramatically in 24 hours. The world which I started to experience with my heart got destructed in 24 hours. How could I be so unlucky?

“Dean!” Camila, my sister came into my cabin with her little girl who have the same deep blue eyes as the ocean like my sister.

“Cam!” I didn’t expected to see her in my cabin of all places. With a warm smile I nodded and walked to them as they approached me.

“Uncle!” My baby girl jumped on me excitedly as she always do. I wonder how many days it have been since I saw my little angel for the last time. It’s been 3 months... 3 damn months since I carried this little angel of mine in my arms.

“What a pleasant surprise!” I kissed her chubby cheeks.

“She dragged me to my car to meet her favourite uncle.” Camila said with a faint smile.

“Uncle... Why you didn’t visited me? Ria was sad because of that.” Tears welled in her little eyes which made my heart ache.

“I’m sorry baby. Uncle is very busy with work since grandpa is on his trip.” She threw her little hands over my neck and hugged me tightly. I felt the warmth which I lost before 7 years, whenever I’m in the embrace of this little angel.

“Uncle...” She gave a colourful card to me.

“I came here to invite you for my birthday party.” She said with a very big and bright smile which could light the whole world. In 5 days it’s my little angel’s 7th birthday. She made a handmade birthday invitation card for me. How could I refuse her invitation or how could I miss my little angel’s birthday?

“Wow! My little angel did a great job in preparing my invitation. What gift do you want baby?” I asked her with reciprocating the same smile that she gave me.

Her eyes widened with my question. “Ria wants uncle to spend whole day with me.”

I called secretary Park immediately. “Cancel all of my appointments for Tuesday. Including phone meetings. And don’t bother to call me that day.”

“But Mr. Scott, the first collaboration meeting with Shark enterprise is to be held on that day. You can’t miss this.” She replied.

“Ask them to move the date forward to Monday.” I insisted.
“But Mr. Scott, Monday morning you have a meeting with Board of directors for the upcoming projects.” She explained me the situation, but I can’t let my little angel’s request down.

“It doesn’t matter if I don’t have even a minute to rest on Monday or any other day. I just want all of my appointments to get cleared for Tuesday. That’s all.”

For 2 or 3 seconds I didn’t get response from my secretary. “I’ll check your schedule for other days and let you know the change of the appointments in 10 minutes.” She replied enthusiastically.

“You don’t have to do this Dean. You have to take care of Airbud enterprises for dad.” Camila said with a faint smile while my little angel Ria looked at us with curiosity.

“I don’t have to. I know that. But I want to do this. Isn’t it little angel?” I told my sister as I was looking at my baby girl. Her smile grew big as she hugged me tightly.

“Are you okay, Dean?” She asked with full of concern.

I just nodded with a little faint smile. My phone started to ring. I passed Ria to Cam as I looked at the caller’s ID. My little angel kissed me before leaving my cabin with her mom. My rest of the day went with packed appointments.

Secretary Park was so talented. That’s how she’s hanging with me for the past 5 years since I started my journey in my dad’s prestigious company. She can manage any task that I give her and it was never a easy thing to do. If it was not her, I don’t know if anyone can manage my temper or be with me for this long.

While looking back at everything happened in my past, my heart aches a lot. Everything seems to be very perfect in the days when Mia accepted to go on date with me. But who expected it to change completely on the night of our first date? Unexpected events started to occur one by one in our life. Everything started on the day of our first date... If that didn’t happen that day, we would have got married years ago. I miss her. Mia...

“Mr. Scott...” Secretary Park came into my cabin like a Strom. From the look of her, something seems to be urgent. If not she’d never bother me when I’m about to leave my cabin after 7 pm.

“What happened?” I tried to ask in neutral tone.
“Shark enterprises agreed to push the meeting forward. But...” She paused for a second.

“But?” I questioned. I don’t like ‘but’ when it comes to work.

“But... Mr. Smith want you to have a dinner appointment with his daughter on this Sunday. If you accept the dinner appointment, everything can be settled.” She finished with a big sigh.

Here comes the trouble which I never liked. It’s not the first time someone wants to set me on a date with their daughter or niece.

“Never!”

“But Mr. Scott, she’s the new CEO of the Shark enterprises. He insisted that you need to discuss about the collaboration meeting with her before attending the meeting on Monday.” She searched for an answer in my face but it’s not easy to get one.

“What’s her name?” I asked with a big sigh.

“Laura Smith.” She replied.

Whoever she maybe, she can’t take the place of Mia in my heart at any cost.