Ele looked down at her hands resting in her lap, feeling they were rather useless in this company. If she negated the Queen's remarks about wanting to help the Prince- She'd look ungrateful. Right now, she felt the playing fields were even. She could leave with a simple goodbye. But then the promise of restoring her wings would flutter out the window...

So she nodded. She confirmed the Queen's words with that subtle bob of her head and secured her place in this aristocratic realm.

"You don't have to do this Ele, truly. You've done so much for me, too much, in fact. I can't imagine taking anymore from you." Yet when her head lifted, his eyes pinpointed on her jugular and glistening white fangs snapped from their sheaths. He could imagine it.

Ele pondered who amongst them was the more selfish in this room.

"Leave." Kaanan muttered abruptly.

Confused, Ele stood to do as he commanded.

"No, not you." Now he directed his gaze to the person standing between him and breakfast.

Oh. This was happening here and now. No delays.

At least she got to eat first before being eaten.

Dry, bitter laughter burrowed deep in her soul attempted to sound... Nothing rose to the surface. Only the subtle fold of her stomach and smile spread across her face gave it away that she was even laughing. Kaanan imagined hearing it fill the room, then tried to think what about this situation prompted the inaudible fit.

During this brief moment, the unwelcome party vacated the dining room and commanded any servant she passed to stay out.

Kaanan approached her, unable to keep a smile off his face. He would never get enough of the radiant beams rolling off her in moments like this when she let her guard down.

"Ele, I want this to be as pleasant as possible for you. Now I'm not sure what it is," He stammered through the lie. "But for some reason I'm attracted to your blood." The light. He craved it. "Something inside of me is revolted by any other option. Even another's scent repulses me. I need you."

The admission was raw, just as it was hungry. He starved for her blood and had the decorum to ask for her permission to drink from her.

She tilted her head, signally her servility.

Those intimidating fangs only elongated and he eagerly closed any distance separating them, pinning her to the back of the chair without care that the head of it aggressively dug into her flesh. He wanted her trapped. Pure instincts overtook him and he sucked in a deep breath before lowering his head. The scent of her blood drove him past the point of decency.

He growled. In the most inhuman of ways imaginable.

'Kaanan, I think-' Whatever she raised her hands to say, she didn't get the chance to finish. He pierced her tender skin just behind her ear and burrowed his face in that inviting crevice.

Ele's mind spun, then her body joined in on the sensation. She felt herself sag in his arms but he wasn't about to let her fall out of reach. He moved his hands from the chair to her hips, allowing himself to grip her there for the sake of keeping her close. The touch felt intimate and deepened her fear.

Looking up at the ornate, white ceiling of the dining hall, she focused on the design of the trim and allowed herself to relax. There was no fear in her body. Just an inkling of... Pleasure? She observed that her lips had parted and that her relaxed body was actually pressing into him now, all on its own.

The Prince couldn't be more delighted by this fact. His little faenix enjoyed this. And now, he decided, would be the opportune time to solidify his claim on her. All he needed to do was manipulate his intentions behind this bite- No longer a regularly feeding...

"Kaanan!" A voice bellowed into the great hall.

He released himself from her neck and turned to glare at his approaching father.

"What do you think you're doing?" King Jyosith stalked towards the tangled pair until he could firmly reach out and grab ahold of his son's shoulders, shaking him from this trance. "Pull yourself together. This is not how royals behave. Were you so sedated by her blood that you honestly thought you could claim her?"

Claim? Ele snatched her hands back from the man who held her steady as if suddenly his skin was poison. Humility dawned on her and it came too late.

Even with his father demanding answers, Kaanan couldn't take his eyes off her. Immense guilt washed over him once he saw her face... She felt ashamed. Humiliated. He would not stand for this.

"You have no idea what you're insinuating, father. I don't need your accusations and neither does Eledorah. While she's in my company, you will respect her or else-"

"Or else, what?" Jyosith spat. "That monster within you is no match for me. Whatever power you think you now possess would be pitiful against me. If you need a reminder, I'll see you this evening after you lay your pet down for a nap."

Kaanan accepted the challenge without hesitating, "See you then."

'Don't do this!' Ele rushed to get her hand signs in front of his face after his father left to jolt some sense back to his brain. Her panic evident in the way she signed, 'Why would you agree to that? It's stupid!'

"You're calling me stupid? Oh you innocent thing, you got yourself trapped in a labyrinth of vampires. Don't lecture me on my life choices." He pushed her hands down to her sides, then brought one hand up to grip her narrow chin. "Besides, my father needs to learn a lesson too. He might be scolding me on control but tomorrow he'll see that my withholding nothing actually makes me more powerful."

Her hands fell lax.

First, a pet. Now... Stupid. A stupid pet. What a name she's made for herself here.

"Don't be like that, Ele. I'm doing this for you, so my father will finally respect you and work harder to get your wings back. Or did you think I forgot the true reason you're lingering here?"

An ache formed on her back where her wings once sprouted from.

'I just don't want to see you get hurt.' Ah, confession time.

He smirked, all smug and lacking modesty. "I see. Will you always try to keep me safe? Your kindness will get you killed in a world like this. It's already cost you your wings, your freedom."

'My freedom isn't lost, it's just... On hold. The Queen promised.'

As he stepped back, he scoffed. "I'm immortal and I'll never see a time where my mother keeps her promises. Never once have. My father may be intimidating, but it's her you have to worry about."

Women typically were the ones more devious, more sinister... Especially when it came to their young. Ele learned that from her own mother but never once experienced that passionate protection from all the world's cruel lessons.