C H A P T E R 1 5

'This is the 3rd place I've check out and still nothing'. 

I stood atop a large tree on the outskirts of a large almost docile building . 'I can't waste too much time here'. After a few more minutes of waiting I jumped down from the tree and made my way to the front entrance of the building. 'I guess I have to take a more direct approach'. 

In a swift motion my foot made contact with the wooden door breaking it off its hinge, cracking the door frame, and sending the door across the room and into the opposite wall. 

"WHO! WHAT! WHO DO YOU THINK--".

In a flash step I was in front of a small man who sat behind a large wooden desk. My hand clutched the collar of his shirt yanking him forward. "I have some questions and if you could be so kind as to answer them it would be greatly appreciated. Did two men dressed in black cloaks come through here sometime in the last 4 hours?"

The man was rather pudgey, he was sweating profusely from the unusually warm room, and the subtle odor of death clung to him. His sausage like fingers wrapped around my wrist trying to wriggle himself free but there was no chance. 

"Get your hands off me!" 

"That's not the answer I am looking for". 

In one quick movement I released his collar grabbed the back of his head and slammed his head against the glossy surface of the desk. 

"Now we are going to try this again. Did two men in black cloaks come in here trying to cash in on a bounty for a ninja monk?" My hand still pushing his head forcefully into the desk. 

"Ughh... No one has been here in days!"

I leaned down my mouth inches from his ear, my fingers digging deeper into the man's skull. 

"You wouldn't be lying to me now would you?" I whispered pushing his face harder against the desk. 

"I- i- i PROMISE!" 

His body was shaking, his breathing labored as he waited for my response. 

"Are there anymore bounty stations in this area?" 

"Th-there's one that's not well known about 6 km from here".

My back straighten, my hand pulling away from his head. Slowly he raised his head, his eyes finally meeting mine for the first time since I entered the building.

Rocking back on my heels my body pivoted right as I made my way to the gaping entrance. 

"Who are you?!" His voice bellowed from behind. 

Turning my head over my shoulder I gave a laxed two finger salute, "no one important". I bolted out the building turned left and down the street.

"With my luck I might be too late....."

I could barely make out the building in the far distance. The vague sounds of battle vibrated across the road. "Damn it!". 

'I was late'. 

I could make out a man in black cloak standing in front of me. His hair was silver but his skin was as black as crows feathers. He had a black rod sticking through his body. 'Did he complete the jutsu?' 

"ASUMA!!" 

I could hear what sounded like Shikamaru's voice yell for his sensei. 'He got Asuma?!'

I could see another man in a black cloak a few yards from the other with his hands wrapped around Izumo and Kotetsu's neck. 

'Deal with him first!'

With a slow deep breath, 'bodyflicker'. 

In the flash of any eye I was behind the man. 'He hasn't noticed me yet'. In one swift motion my leg swiveled to the right my foot making contact with the middle of his back sending him flying forward and into the building. With a thud Izumo and Kotetsu fell to the ground, their hands cradling their necks as they tried to catch a much needed breath. 

"Shiori?" Kotetsu asked dazed, his focus still fuzzy from the near death choke hold. 

"Are you guys alright?" 

"Better now that you saved us". Izumo choked as he struggled to his feet. 

The man I had kicked into the building was beginning to pull himself out of the rubble. His eyes were just as the monk had described, demon like.

"Hidan lets go". His deep voice boomed and in a puff of smoke the two disappeared. 

"Sensei!"

"Asuma!"

I could hear Ino, Choji, and Shikamaru shriek over Asuma's imobile body. My eyes looked on sympathetically. Even from here I could tell Asuma was on borrowed time. Ino hovered over Asuma her hands glowing green as she tried to heal his wounds. I shuffled to Ino my hand taking place on her shoulder. Her head turned to me, her watery eyes pleading with me to do something. I reluctantly shook my head, she knew what I knew. Asuma wasn't going to make it.

They mourned over his body. 

'I was too late'.