C H AP T E R 4 1

'I can't wait to tell him'.

I quietly slipped out of the hospital, lightly jogging down the steps making my way towards the village gates.

"He should be back soon". I whispered with a smile.

It was a beautiful spring day. It had rained the night before, leaving the village doused with a crisp fresh smell. My hand drifted gingerly over my stomach, tenderly caressing, side to side.

"You'll be here in the winter".

After a few minutes of oblivious walking, I finally reached the gates. 'Should be any minute now'. The thought of telling him the news made me so giddy I was about to jump out of my skin. A warm breeze swept across the threshold bringing with it a dark shadow in the distance.

A weird exciting sensation flowed through me. Starting from the bottom of my feet up to my legs, stomach, arms, chest, and face.

The dark figure loomed closer. Its features slowly coming into view.

Long raven hair billowed in the breeze.

The excitement was bullying. I couldn't wait anymore. The distance between us closed as I bolted for him. A joyful smile adorned him as he stopped just a few feet from the open gate with outstretched arms.

"Welcome home". I giggled, jumping into his arms, pulling him into a hug. "I missed you". I whispered into the crook of his neck.

"I've only been gone for a few days". He replied with a laugh.

"Does that mean you didn't miss me?" I pouted, pulling back to look up into his dark eyes.

His eyes immediately softened, his smile deepening. He quickly ducked low, locking his arms around my thighs and hosting me up. We giggled childishly as he spun us around. "What kind of question is that--" Placing me back on the ground he continued, "-I miss you every second we are apart".

I smiled, my hands moving to grasp his shoulders. "I have something to tell you".

A puzzled look creeping over his face. "Did something happen?"

The widening smile only brought more confusion to his face. His eyes searched my face for answers but found none.

My hands wandered down his shoulders, down his arm, clutching his hand.

"Shiori?"

"Shhhh". I responded, looking down to my stomach, bringing his hand to stroke the now flat surface.

His weight dropped, his body falling to his knees, with arms locked around my waist. His head laid softly against my stomach.

His body was trembling.

"Itachi?" His sudden reaction surprised me.

"Thank you..." His voice was barely over a whisper. His fingers dug and clutched desperately to the material of my pants.

A pang of sadness hit me. Placing one hand beneath his chin, I pulled his face to me, "Whatever for?" I whispered. His will to hold the tears behind slowly breaking as we stared deep into each other's eyes.

"For giving me a chance at a family again".

His pained voice filled my soul with pain, love, endearment, guilt, and anguish. Warm tears slipped out, staining my cheeks.

"You deserve it, my love". I smiled, running my fingers through his hair.

His head shifted back, so his ear pressed against my stomach.

"When will we know?"

"Won't be for another month or two. Have an idea of what you might want?"

"A girl".

"It might be a boy. Don't you want a son?" I asked, fingers gently running against his scalp.

His hand moved to rub the barely existent belly, "I have a feeling it's a girl".

"It's still too early to tell, even for me".

"It's a girl, I know it".

"A daughter, I wonder who she'll take after".