C H A P T E R 5

I don't know when I started running but my feet hit the pavement before I even realized it. 

My actions were beyond desperate.

My eyes darted up and down the empty streets as I ran to the far side of the village. I had to see him, to look him in the eyes, to wrap my arms around him, and never let go.

I forced myself to stop. 'If you want to see him focus!' I forced my eyes shut and focused my frantic energy on finding any remnant of his chakra.

Chakra poured into my eyes, drenching everything in a blood-red hue. 

Then. My feet moved in rhythmic steps against the earth. I ran and ran until I finally reached the river that ran through the middle of the village.

In the distance, I could see two men dressed in black cloaks shifting towards me. A soft jingling sound echoed from the bells hanging from the straw hats they wore. 

My heart was pounding so hard that my chest ached. 

The instinct to run and jump into his arms was overwhelming. It hurt not to be able to touch him. I shuffled forward and slowly we closed in on each other. 

Then, in a blink of an eye, two more bodies appeared before me.

"Asuma? Kurenai?" 

I could hear Asuma's voice but I couldn't make out what he was saying over the roaring rush of blood between my ears and the thundering in my chest drowned everything else around me. I just knew that I had to get between them before Asuma and Kurenai got into any serious altercation with them.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. 'Body flicker'.

Then. I was in the middle.

"Shiori? What are you doing? Get out of here!" Asuma's voice was laced with apprehension. 

But Itachi and I already locked eyes. 

Sharingan to sharingan.

"Stay out of this! Itachi is mine to deal with."

"But--..."

Twisting back, I glared at Asuma with ruby-red eyes and he froze. 

"Keep your eyes down and stay out of this!" I barked, turning back to Itachi.

Silence began to settle in.

"Itachi. Who is this girl?" The skyscraper of a man standing next to him asked.

No reply.

Reaching back I pulled the two sais that sat snugly against my waist. "I am no one important." I answered in jest.

"Are you trying to fight us with a puny weapon like that?" The man spoke again. I pointed the sai at him, as I shifted my gaze, "Care to try me?" I smirked. 

"Ohhhh... You have those crazy eyes too?"

"Still want to fight me then?" I shot back.

The tall man reached around to a hilt that peeped over his shoulder and yanked a huge sword from his back. The sword was so massive that it formed an indent in the cement walkway as he dropped it against the pavement.

"Kisame don't."

My eyes shot back to Itachi. It was the first time he had spoken.

"Why not?" The man named Kisame responded, cocking his head in Itachi's direction. But Kisame question was met with stoic silence. 

His eyes were transfixed on me.

Not a single emotion on his face. 

But somehow.... behind those red pricing eyes, I knew the depths of his despair. And I knew he could sense mine.

With a flash step, I was before Kisame. In one swift motion, I round housed him to the side of his head. I had intentionally slowed my movements so that he had enough time to block with his arm. But the strength behind the kick was the secret. I needed to separate them. The kick sent him flying over the walkway and into the waterway.

I smirked at his surprise. "I wasn't expecting such a small girl to have that much speed and strength."

"Shiori! What's going on?!" Kurenai yelled.

"I am fine just stay out of it," I replied, turning my back to Kisame only to find Itachi right behind me. In the blink of an eye, I saw the glint of a kunai, but my sai caught it just in time.

"Shiori! Get away from him!"

"Kakashi handle Kisame. Leave Itachi to me." I ground out harshly. 

"But...."

"Just do it, I can handle myself!"

My body stilled against Itachi as I held my ground. I was physically much stronger than him, and he knew it. But I still played the part well enough so no one else would catch on. 

"Itachi?" I whispered. Making sure to move my lips so deliberately that no one would be able to hear or read my lips. 

Itachi tucked his chin deeper into his cloak.

No response.

"Speak to me." I could hear the crakes in my voice. All I wanted... All I needed was a response.

"Not here."

"Where?"

"Naka Shrine."

"When?"

"5 hours."

I nodded pushing him back with ease. Itachi skipped back landing a few feet in front of me. I bolted for him throwing a few punches, and naturally, he dodged all of them, not that I was trying to hit him anyway. His right leg kicked up attempting to land a hit to my side, but I caught his ankle just in time.

And for a moment... A single moment it left like we were kids again. That same warm feeling I had when training with Sasuke came rushing back. The memories. The happiness. All of it moved in like a tsunami. But, I didn't have the liberty to let myself enjoy them. I didn't have a right to. 

He reached down propping himself on his hands allowing him to use his other leg to land another kick.

'Predictable.'

I ducked the kick and swung his leg back pushing him back in the process. He lunged at me. Throwing punches left and right. I caught his fist in my hand, faint smirk tugged his lips. I smiled in return. 

I attempted another roundhouse but in a flash of black, the man in front of me had disappeared once again.

"Kisame let's go, we didn't find what we were looking for." He was gone... again. But this time, I would get to see him soon.

"Are you okay?" Kakashi asked stepping up beside me. I dusted myself off turning to him.

"Never better," I replied walking off. 

Kakashi would never truly understand how true that statement was to me.