Chap 12

[just a heads up this is a timeskip to after the practice match with nekoma in season 1]

"Hey Asahi-san! Ready to go yet?"

It's been about a month since that day where we made up. We've been able to practice together normally again, which I am very grateful for. Heck, I think we're becoming closer. The day after we made up, I decided to ask Asahi to walk home together. Then the day after he asked and it just became a normal occurrence. It's nice to be able to spend more time with Asahi since I usually only see him during training time. [because they're 2nd and 3rd years, their breaktimes should be different. They have morning and afternoon practices as well so free time goes to volleyball lmao-] Being able to chat with him without the time limits of water break is great!

"Yeah, just let me lock up the doors first." He said before the sound of keys jingling can be heard. Once he was done, he turned around with a soft smile that warmed my heart and said, "Let's go Nishinoya"

As usual, we strolled out of school and onto the roadside towards the housing area. I realise that we tend to walk slower as compared to when we're walking to the club. I assume it's because we're usually tired from training, but I guess a small part of me wants to extend the time spent with Asahi as well. Today was a peaceful night and we were honestly just enjoying it, but I felt like talking to him so I brought up a conversation topic.

"The match with Nekoma today was really fun, eh?"

Asahi looked at me with slightly raised eyebrows. This reaction was much calmer as compared to his previous flinching. He smiled contently and looked forward, "Yeah, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be." I punched him lightly on his arm. "Hey! Have more confidence in yourself, you did good today! Don't doubt your skills so much, Asahi-san. You gave so many powerful spikes!" I grinned upwards at him as I felt a blush bloom on my cheekbones. I saw him tense up a slight bit before his ears turned red. I laughed.

"It was a shame their defense was so good though! Especially their libero," An image of the hazel brown-haired male appeared in my mind. "His receives were so clean! They were ridiculously accurate as well! Yaku-san was able to send the ball to the spiker or their setter flawlessly." I remember the feeling of admiration every time I saw him receive Asahi's spikes. It is sad that we weren't able to score the point but you gotta admit he's a high caliber libero!

"That's nice..." Asahi said, his voice slightly quieter than before. I looked over to see a sad smile playing on his lips. I stopped in my tracks. He froze and turned around to look at me quizzically. "You sounded kinda sad after I made that comment on Yaku-san. Is everything alright?"

Asahi jumped and looked away, his face turning beet red. I raised an eyebrow. What is he getting embarrassed over? Heck, what was he getting sad over? I only praised Yaku for his abilities. What's wrong with that? It can't be that he's..

"Jealous?"

His face flushed an even deeper red and a hand went up and over his mouth. I saw his throat pulse as he gulped. I felt my heart speeding up. Asahi is jealous?? How did that even happen???

He screwed his eyes shut before opening them and lowering his hand. "Yeah I uhm guess I am..." he mumbled while avoiding eye contact. "I just saw the way your eyes shone when you were talking about him. The big smile on your face as you remembered his moves. You just seem very fond of him that's all..."

He sounded very solemn but suddenly he flinched, possibly from registering what he had said. He started panicking as he tried to explain himself, "Its a dumb thing to get upset over, I know! Just- Just forget I said anything okay? It's not important-" He then proceeded to slam his face into his palms with a ferocious intensity. I jumped at the suddenness of his actions. A muffled groan escaped the male.

I furrowed my eyebrows as I gently placed my hands over his. "Hey, don't put yourself down like that, your feelings are valid, you know? It's not dumb at all." He slowly lifted his head to make eye contact with me. His eyes were wary and slightly hesitant. There was also a hint of fear that made my heart wrench.

"There's nothing wrong with being jealous, it's an emotion you feel from time to time. And I'm sure you mean no harm so there's nothing wrong with it." I smiled, hopefully reassuringly. His eyes softened as his body relaxed. "Thank you Noya-san." I chuckled before saying, "It's no problem Asahi."

I withdrew my hands from his, trying my best not to make it awkward. "I have a question though," I said as I felt my insides squirm. I probably shouldn't add fuel to the fire but if I didn't ask I would die of curiosity. "Y-you don't have to answer it if you're uncomfortable though Asahi."

He looked hesitant but said, "Sure, what do you wanna ask Nishinoya?" [to be fair if someone approached me and said they had a question for you, you'd be kinda scared too right? sO]

"I uhm don't understand why you got jealous though, d-do you think you can explain?"

His face flushed a bright red again and he stared at me with wide eyes. He then looked away and exhaled, shoulders slumping. "I thought it'd be obvious...", he muttered before stammering, "I guess I..." He gulped and he screwed his eyes shut. "I guess I want you to be that enthusiastic when you're talking about me..." I felt my face heat up. I was stunned speechless. My brain started questioning it but the one question that stood out was why?

Why? Why? Why? The gears in my brain turned until I found an answer. It shocked me so much that I blurted out a response without thinking.

"Asahi-san, do you have a crush on me?"

I am terribly sorry for the cliffhanger qwq but i really don't want to make my chapters too long so-
Also, special thanks to Melody_night2006 for the idea of Asahi being jealous(even if its for another story eheh)