Muggle Football and Curry

Magsimula sa umpisa

"Sev," she said. There was a note of desperation in her voice. He looked into her face and was suddenly struck by the resemblance to Lily. He had never noticed it before. The eyes were completely different but there was something about the set of the mouth.

"We hate him," she said. "He's ruined our lives. If you need help of any kind - we're willing to do what needs to be done."

He looked her in the eyes and nodded. He felt as if an understanding passed between them. "I will keep it in mind," he said. "Stay safe, Petunia." And he turned to collect his food.

                                                                                             *******

By the time he got to Spinner's End he was soaked through from the chilly penetrating rain. He let himself in through the back door. The house was dark and quiet. He switched on the light, set his bag of takeaway on the counter and proceeded upstairs.

Remus was a lump under the covers but he stirred when Severus entered the room. The curtains were drawn and it was very dark. Sev heard the steady hiss of sleet hitting the windows. He lit the cold fireplace with his wand and the room was filled with orange flickering light. Sev crossed the room and sat on the bed, and Remus turned his white face to Sev. His eyes looked huge in his thin face, owlish, unfocused. Sev reached over and brushed the hair from his forehead.

"You awake?" he whispered.

"Waking up," replied Remus groggily. "You're cold."

"It's nasty out there. I got caught in the rain. I brought you soup."

Remus sighed and stretched. Sev heard his joints pop and crack as if they were settling back into their normal configuration. "Good," he said with a satisfied sigh. "I could eat. Have to piss first."

"Can you manage?"

"I.....think so," said Remus. He swung his feet to the floor but when he stood he nearly fell backward into the bed. "Sorry," he said. "Maybe you should give me a hand."

Sev helped him to the bathroom and back. Remus stretched again before he got back into bed, and it sounded as if every joint in his body was realigning itself . Merlin, did he go through that every month? He settled Remus in the bed, then went downstairs to retrieve the food.

"Get in and warm up," Remus commanded, when he returned, so he peeled off his soggy socks and damp trousers and tucked his freezing cold feet into the tropical warmth beneath Remus' thighs. He was starving and the food tasted great. Between bites he told Remus about his meeting with Petunia, and her offer to do what she could to fight the Dark Lord.

"I wonder if she could actually be useful to the Order," said Remus thoughtfully.

"Everyone's useful if you know how to use them," said Sev. "Though it's a little hard to imagine that husband of hers working for us. What was his name again?"

"Vernon," supplied Remus with a snort.

"What an arse," said Sev. "I always hated him. I went to their wedding, you know."

Remus glanced up from his soup, a sharp look in his eyes. "No, I didn't know that."

"I was Lily's date. It was probably the last decent night we spent together. She broke it off with me a few weeks later. And by the end of that year she was dating Potter."

Remus continued to eat the soup while Sev watched him.

"You're eating, Lupin," he observed.

"Mm, it tastes good," said Remus with enthusiasm. Then as Severus continued to watch him he said, "What?"