chapter 30: the talk

They were laying on bed, sheets in between them. Her back was against his chest, and she was playing and interlocking their fingers. He just stared at their hands together. He was enjoying having her with him.

"We need to talk about it. I need to talk about it." she said. He sighed, knowing that even if he didn't want to, she needed a solution. She had waited too long, and needed to release everything. Nini turned around to sit next to him. "What did E.J. told you?"

"Everything. Benji also texted me the whole thing while it was happening. And I went on twitter and saw everything. I don't even know where to start." he was looking at his lap. She was t00.

"What do you want to do?"

"Tell the truth. Everything. Let's stop overthinking and wondering what other people might say." he stated, really confident in his decision.

"What is the truth, Ricky? That you hooked up with Gina, who used to be my bully, not the other way around, but you did when we weren't together? And that we have been together and apart since we were 18? And that then you left for six months and we are not together but we are? People are not going to believe it. And besides, it all would load on you. That's not what we want."

"I don't mind it. Everything is loaded on you! It's not fair or even logical. It was my mistake kissing Gina. Let's... I'll call our managers, maybe they have a plan." he said, trying no to sound broken after her saying that they weren't together. He knew that, of course he wasn't expecting that they would automatically be together again, but it still hutted.

"They told me that it was up to us. They were not going to get in the middle of our lives, and they also know the truth. I was thinking about just saying that nobody cheated on no one and that you were not going back and forth from us."

"Nini... we've been hiding for so many years now. Don't you want to go out on dates and just be free? I'm done with rumours and pretending that I don't love you-" he was interrupted by her.

"Ricky, I love you. You know that, but you don't know how broken I am over this. I feel weak, she makes me feel weak. As if I'm under her control. I feel like I am 17 years old looking down in the hallway at East High. She still has power over me. And that fucking broke me. And being alone in all of this wasn't helping. I am not mad or angry at you for this, even if I look like that. You did what it was best for you and I can't wait to know all about it but I feel like we are dancing with our hands tied here. And I don't want people to hate you by association. I can't ask you to be with me while I am a mess." she sobbed. They stayed in silence for a little while, until he grabbed her hands and looked at her.

"I don't care. I want you, Neens. I would do anything to be by your side and for you to be happy."

"I don't want you to fight my battles."

"I don't plan to. I plan to be by your side or in the crowd cheering for you. I want to be with you. That's what we do. We hold the other while they are not at their best. You stood with me always, why would I not do the same for you?" he said softly, Nini stayed looking at him. Trying to decide what to do.

"Okay. But, baby steps please. I wanna do this right, I don't want us to break up then get back together, and then repeat. If you are serious, let's do it. But no secrets. We'll see what we do about Gina, then we think about telling people about us. I'll tell you everything that happened while you were gone, and you do the same. Okay?" she was scared, you could tell by her voice, she waited for him to answer. He caressed her cheek before talking.

"Baby, if I had a ring at this exact moment I would marry you. But that's for another day." they both laughed and joined their lips again, wishing for the universe to be at their side this time.