chapter 19: routines in the woods

Ricky was, well, as good as he could be in the middle of nowhere. At first it was hard being away from everyone, he did not have any contact with anyone who wasn't there with him. But after two months, he got used to it. Being away and disconnected was helping him to heal and clean himself. He never meditated in his life, but he tried it because Maya taught him and he loved it. He became really close with her. They became a group kinda fast, they were all in the same situation. Jaz, Liam, Maya and him. They would hang out every night, or any day they felt sad or lonely. They were each other's company and they had a great and easy dynamic. The movie was chill, the shooting wasn't as long and hard they thought it would be. So he was happy in that part. But being away was hard in the middle of the night, when he would turn around looking for that small and tiny body to hug. She wasn't there when he opened his eyes. It was hard to sleep again without her warmth. But, everything changed one night.

It became a routine. Every night they would have dinner together in one of their rooms, the crew would send their food to their rooms, because they didn't have a kitchen to cook. And the restaurants and cafes would close at 6pm. It was a normal night when things changed, it was night 71. Maya had come alone the day before because Jaz and Liam had a late shooting. They ate, watched a movie, talked for a while and then she left. He felt good after it. He slept the whole night through and enjoyed her company. She was funny, sensible. She was really sarcastic and sassy, but he liked it. The next day things went smoothly. They shot their scenes and went to their cabins. The whole cast was staying on the second floor, so they would get the food at the same time. Jaz and Liam arrived together in Ricky's room. It was his turn to share the room. Maya arrived a couple of minutes later. They chatted, laughed, watched some random sitcom episode and then Liam left because he had an early shot and he needed to rest. It was around 10pm when Jaz paused the episode.

"Even though I'm enjoying this lovely evening, I am about to fall asleep and you guys don't want to hear my snoring. So... goodnight." Jaz said. She grabbed her stuff and left the room. It was only Ricky and Maya now. She broke the silence.

"So Richard..."

"Call me Ricky." he smiled. She smiled back.

"Okay, Ricky. Tell me about your life back in LA. I know about your friends and your dad but, and don't blame me for asking, how is your love life back there? Is someone there? Are you secretly married to a 60 year old woman who owns a company or... what's your deal?" she asked sweetly. He knew she was just making conversation because she didn't want to leave and be alone again. She confessed that to him the night before. But he didn't mind, because he didn't want to be alone any more than her.

"Well, it's complicated. She is my high school sweetheart." he laughed with that term, because it was true. "She is great, she is sweet and beautiful and more talented than any other person I've ever met. But, our jobs don't mix well. A pop singer and an actor. It's hard and we are away for long periods of time without seeing each other. So we are not together in the moment."

"Wow. You know... I googled you after reading the cast list. I'm not saying that I'm surprised you are dating Nina. She is amazing. I love her music, honestly. I get why you keep trying to make it work. But, if I can give advice on that, 'cause I lived it, is that you cannot force a relationship. It's not that you don't have to make it work, because of course you have to. But if you are getting hurt and you only know how to deal with pain and temporary happiness, sometimes you have to let it go, and see what the universe wants. You know, you have to grow up as a person and at the same time in a relationship. It's hard, but it is what it is." she finished saying. They were sitting next to each other at the end of his bed, drinking from their bottles of beer. He felt like she said exactly what he was scared of accepting. He had to let it go. He had to stop holding himself back just because he wants to be with her. He needs to live and see what life brings after. He looked of her and smiled.