Gathering Information

Start from the beginning

Eira placed a hand on Dagur's arm. "Hopefully this will be over shortly. Then things will return to normal. Hang on until then, okay?"

"Fine," Dagur mumbled. But he still didn't like it. He sighed in resignation when Eira finally left to return to Berk. "I am going to miss her." He had gotten used to seeing her nearly every day, and he did not like to be apart.

"Don't look so glum," Viggo said. "Soon you'll be married and see each other all the time. But right now her first priority is still Berk."

"I know, but I still don't like it."

"That's for you to deal with. I'll see you in class." With that, Viggo exited the house.

"Speaking of your wedding..." Heather said. "I've been thinking I should probably work on finding a new place so I can be out of here when we get back from Torvald."

Dagur gasped. "You're leaving me?!"

Heather gave him an odd look. "I'm only moving out. I just thought you and Eira will want some privacy once you're married."

Dagur paused to think about that. "Privacy would be nice..." Then he ground his teeth together. "But then I won't get to see you!"

Heather rolled her eyes. "I'm not moving halfway across the world. I can still visit."

"But it won't be the same!"

Heather smiled sympathetically. "This is a lot of change for all of us. We'll get through it."

Dagur hoped she was right. He normally welcomed change, but this was on an entirely new level.

***

"Good morning, Krogan," Eira said upon entering the jail. Hiccup and Toothless trailed behind her, having just returned from alerting their allies to the presence of Drago and the dragon trappers.

"Isn't it a bit early for your next visit?" Krogan drawled before she could even see him.

"But it's a special occasion. I brought visitors." Upon approaching his cell, Eira saw him sitting in the far right corner this time. His eyes fell on Hiccup and Toothless and narrowed.

"You shouldn't have," he said tersely.

"Oh, she should have," said Hiccup. "This isn't a social call, Krogan. We need to know who you worked for when trying to find the King of Dragons."

Krogan's normal placid expression returned. "If I wouldn't tell Eira, what makes you think I'll tell you?"

Hiccup exchanged a look with Eira. "Well, that's alright. I'll just let Drago Bludvist know you're here."

At the sound of Drago's name, Krogan's eyes flashed with fear, which was then replaced by rage. "You wouldn't!"

Hiccup glanced at Eira. "Looks like you were right."

Eira was afraid of this, but all she could do now was face it. She took a deep breath and moved in closer to the cell, wrapping her hands around the bars. "No, we wouldn't, but we need information. Drago is in the area, and he's building a dragon army."

"Then I suggest you fortify your island or flee," Krogan said.

Hiccup frowned. "I'm not convinced war is inevitable, but we need to know what we're up against."

"Of course war is inevitable. It's been inevitable since the dawn of time. Nothing you do will stop it. You can't change human - or dragon - nature. Become the strongest or you will not survive."

"No!" Eira said vehemently. "I don't believe that. War may be instinctual, but that doesn't mean we can't find alternatives. Berk and Torvald prove that humans and dragons can learn that peaceful cooperation is better than violent conflict."