16: Meeting

Depuis le début

I was ushered into the living room, leaving my backpack in the porch, to find the rest of the family engaged in various activities: Mycroft was sat on the sofa with what appeared to be a book about the Norman Lord's Courts, a man I assumed to be their dad was piling logs beside the fire and a rather stunning boy was peering out of the window, watching the snow fall and stick to the grass.

I walked quickly up to him, placing my hands on both of his shoulders to startle him. He shrieked silently and turned around, eyes sparkling and a grin guaranteed to make me smile back.

"Hello, John." He whispered, a greeting meant only for me.

"God, I've missed you, Sherlock."

Before I could turn to greet the older Holmes brother, I was being pulled out of the room by the arm and given just a second to grab my backpack before we stumbled up the stairs and loudly crashed into a nearby bedroom. It was about the same size as our dorm, minus my bedroom and the kitchen. Books covered the largest wall and there were magazine cutouts stuck to the other. Upon further inspection, they were cutouts from scientific magazines, detailing everything from viruses and cells to new discoveries of atom properties and the forces acting on objects. There were even some black and white photos of old scientists that had been pinned up next to certain articles, the ones I could recognise being Albert Einstein, James Clerk Maxwell, Galileo Galilei, Isaac Newton and Dmitri Mendeleev. Others were biologists and chemists, along with a couple of mathemeticians but I didn't recognise them or know their names.

"My idols as a child." He stated plainly, noticing that my focus had been drawn to them.  "Nothing much has changed since I was younger." He continued as I moved around the room. "I didn't spend enough time in here to redecorate."

"What were you doing instead?"

"Working. Annoying my parents by blowing things up and using Mycroft's science kit. Then sitting in detention halls for doing the doing same sort of things at school, just with a bunsen burner." 

"Oh, right." I nodded, dropping my bag in front of the wardrobe and taking out a small, wrapped box. "I want to give this to you now."

He took it hesitantly, unaware that I had gotten him a gift. He carefully unwrapped it, leaving the paper beside him on the bed and pulling out a white box. Once the lid was pulled off, he could see a silver chain, not too fine that it seemed effeminate yet not too bulky that it didn't suit him. He pulled it out and the chain hung from his fingers, a disc swinging gently. Engraved on the disc was a cross, creating four sections. On the left was a J, with the the right a W. On the top was an S, with the right a H.

"John..." He gasped, handing it to me to put on him. I did so, happy that we approved of it.

"I thought it would be a subtle thing; you can hide it under a shirt if you want. And only we will know it's there."

"It's perfect, John. Thank you."

My breathing stopped when he pressed a tender kiss to my cheek. I gulped nervously. He chuckled at this, pulling me closer to him and pressing kisses one after another to my cheek and neck. I sat straddling him, my head thrust back with pleasure.

"Sherlock... your family are downstairs."

"Sod them. My boyfriend's here." He mumbled, hands holding down my wrists to keep me from pushing him away.

I was about to give into him when the sound of the doorbell ringing echoed through the house and we both retracted in fear.

"Boys! Come down! Your auntie's here, Sherlock!"

We groaned and opened the door, creeping downstairs while hugs were being exchanged so that we wouldn't get caught up in the greetings. A boy seemingly glued to a screen wandered into the living room and the adults followed, Sherlock and I walking in afterwards.

Not long after this, an uncle and his daughter Julia arrived, dressed in matching Christmas jumpers and holding a packet of candy canes.

Punch flowed among the adults and homemade cookies were quickly devoured, the two of us taking several to keep us until lunchtime. We now couldn't escape. We were trapped with an extroverted uncle, a gossiping aunt, Sherlock's awkward father, a silent Mycroft and two nervous children.

"Who's this, then?" The uncle asked, elbowing my arm as a sort of welcoming gesture. The blank look I responded with forced Sherlock to answer on my behalf.

"This is my friend, John."

"Right, right. From school? How is that place by the way? Are you in the football team? Let me guess, midfield? You'd be good at rugby, Sherl!"

"Yes. It's fine. No, I hate sports."

This man was definitely one for conversation. We seized the chance while he was commenting on the Fireplace and stockings to dive behind the table and sit by a bookcase. Our legs were interlocked and we rested on each other's knees, idly talking and waiting for the dinner to be served.