26: Celebrating

I awoke with a start this morning, knowing that this was mine and Sherlock's first notable anniversary: six months together. I rolled over, ready to shower him with affection and spend fifteen minutes doing nothing but snuggling, but my hand felt the bedsheet instead of his chest. Typical. He probably didn't even know what day it was. Oh well.

Bleary eyed and still tired, I shuffled into the kitchen to make a cup of tea and a piece of toast. What I found on the table, however, stopped me in my tracks. Upon it, with nothing else on the table, was an envelope addressed to "My John" with a little, neatly drawn heart directly underneath. Thankfully, he had opted for the romantic type of heart instead of a detailed anatomical structure. My mind buzzed with excitement and I made sure to open the envelope carefully so that I could keep it. Inside was a note, written in his beautiful cursive font.

Happy first six months, John. I look forward to the many more yet to come. Wait for me at the end of the day- I'm in chemistry. Have a good day.

Sherlock xxx

~

As instructed, I hurried over to his chemistry class at the end of the day and peered through the glass pane in the door to see if they were packing away. I could hardly wait to see him again and my foot began to tap impatiently. After a short while they were dismissed and I watched as my boyfriend emerged from behind the other students.

"Hello." I beamed, wanting to give him a small peck but knowing fully well that now was not the right time.

"Ready?" He started. "First stop: a cupboard I found not long ago."

"A cupboard?" I repeated, feeling very skeptical of what he intended his plans to be. "Why are we going there?"

"I went on a little scavenger hunt one night when I was bored. Along one of these corridors, there's a cupboard that you can pick the lock of. Judging by the copious amounts of dust inside, I assume the school have lost the key. Our dorm is too far away to walk to if we want to leave now."

Without asking anything more, I watched as he picked the lock with ease and tossed his bag inside. Still not questioning him further, I dropped mine beside it. We then crossed the car park and sped out of the gates, taking an entirely different route to normal. In fact, almost every turn was in the opposite direction to where we usually went.

After what felt like hours, we arrived at a small pizza shop and a box was already placed on the counter for us. Sherlock pushed a note into the manager's hand, rushed a "thank you" and left as quickly as he had entered.

"So... What's this for?"

"You'll see."

And I did. Though what I saw and what I suspected raised more questions than if I hadn't seen anything. Especially when he subtly mentioned needing to start the fire early.

Narrowly missing other students returning, we crossed back across the college's car park and this time across the field. Our main field was huge, and if you went far enough back it led to a rugby pitch. This rugby pitch then stretched even further, meaning that part of it was covered by some trees. We snuck behind them and leaned against the fence separating the field from the pitch. A few yards away was a tidy pile of small sticks, larger sticks, twigs and dry leaves. These were retrieved and placed in front of me, just far enough away from the trees to stay out of view.

"Won't someone see the smoke coming off this?"

"Relax, John. It'll only be small."

"Why did we need to do this early? Wouldn't we do this when it's dark?"

"You aren't normally this inquisitive. It's getting dark. And I wanted us to have some warmth before it gets colder, so that we weren't stood around freezing and trying to light this. The fire will also warm the pizza up."

Soon enough, the pile was lit and a beautiful orange glow was cast towards us, making Sherlock look overwhelmingly attractive. We sat with his coat around our backs and he rested the pizza box sturdily on his thigh. As he had predicted, it was hot and tasted fantastic. I couldn't believe that he had actually remembered today, and planned a whole evening for us which included pre-ordering a pizza and securing equipment for a campfire the night before. I had never known anybody as thoughtful as him and vowed to cherish every little thing he did for me. Once the sky was pitch black, we leaned back and watched the stars, trying to make various shapes out of them and pointing out which ones shone the brightest. Once we had eaten our halves of the pizza, I ate the crusts he had left and chuckled at his quirk.

"I love this, Sherlock."

"Good. I wanted to make this special because we might not be able to do things like this for a while, what with school and our extra work. But I know we'll do well when the day comes. And I'm here for you whenever you need me. I promise."

At a loss for words, I nuzzled my head against his shoulder and he could tell that I was smiling. A buzzing sensation took over my chest and I felt warm, not because of the fire but because of something else. The knowledge that I had such a caring and loyal and brilliant boyfriend who could make me happy in an instant and laugh until I couldn't breathe was enough to make me realise that nothing else truly mattered as long as we had each other. An array of emotions flooded me, from relaxation and fulfillment to appreciation and euphoria. I had never felt so utterly devoted to a person to the point where every day is made better by them and imagining so much as an hour without them was enough to make me need to hug him to reassure myself that we weren't apart. He was as much a part of me as I was myself and he had taught me things about myself that I could never have known. Nobody could compare to him. He was my best friend, my teacher, my student, my listener, my speaker, my partner, my soulmate, my darkness, my light and everything in between. But was most importantly, he was mine. And I was his.