C.1

When Irene was carted off to the infamous orphanage that Tom Riddle himself grew up in, she was a little over 5 years old and being escorted by an unnamed auror that had attended her parents trial. She didn't know how she would react if she met Tom Riddle as she was now. Would she rage? Would she cry? Would she try to kill him as soon as she could? The possibilities were endless and her choice was unclear.

It was very rare for aurors to disclose information such as their name, especially to children. So, she didn't know the name of the man with dark hair and dark eyes that unwillingly held her hand in an unwavering grip. Even so, little Irene Black wasn't supposed to know what was going on. Irene wasn't supposed to understand that she wouldn't see her parents again for a long time if ever. Irene wasn't supposed to understand that she would be going to what was arguably one of the worst places on earth.

"Where are we goin' mister?" she asked, full of feigned childish curiosity and questionable innocence. Her voice in this life reminded her vaguely of Luna Lovegood; soft and airy with a slight dream like quality. "Where's mommy 'nd daddy?"

The man glared down at her with dark eyes full of barely disguised contempt and disgust which, to someone as well versed as she, was as plain as day. "Somewhere child. Now don't speak again." The man's voice was relatively grating and nowhere near as soothing as her father's in this life. It reminded her of Vernon the Whale. Ew. She was left to assume the answer was to both questions she asked. 'What a rude prat!' She thought indignantly. Must have had something against her parents but that honestly sounded like a him problem.

The rest of the walk was spent in complete, mind numbing, silence left to nothing but her highly insulting thoughts of the unnamed auror.

Eventually, they reached the orphanage Irene would soon be calling home and the man, who saw her struggling with the steps, lifted her up roughly and set her down on her feet also not particularly as gentle as one should be with a child. His attitude was really getting on her nerves and why he was bloody lucky she couldn't hex him on the spot!

But where she stood right now was struggling to regain her balance. During her crisis, the rude man gave a strong three knocks to the worn wooden door and walked away leaving her at the door step of a muggle orphanage by herself. Now, if she wasn't mentally an adult that action alone would have resulted in a whole breakdown. Because like where in the bloody fuck was she?!

But alas, Irene was no normal child. She knew where she was. And so she just stood obediently at the door waiting for it to open up to a new hell.

It took less than a minute of harsh steps on the flooring opposite the door for it to actually swing open with a grating Screech. It was handled quite aggressively honestly, no wonder it was so worn. A scowling woman with frown lines worn into her face and grey hair slicked into a olden style peeked her head out.

Her eyes immediately focused down on the small girl, leveling her with a glare that honestly couldn't hold a candle to Snape's, before grabbing her tiny arm in an iron grip and dragging her into her home for the next 6 years with a resounding slam of a squeaky wooden door.

"What's your name girl?" the woman demanded as the door slammed. "Irene Black, Ma'am." At her manners the matron's grip on her arm loosened slightly. "Birthday? Age?" the woman was probably going to put her in a roster or something of the sort. At least they keep track of their children here.

"April 28th. I'm 5 years old." The woman was now looking slightly put off but none the less continued to walk toward a hall. It was probably how she said her words. She's always unnerved people with her mature tone nowadays. Physically though, Irene was barely keeping up with the woman as her legs were too short and if she didn't hate having such short legs before, well she surely took the time to do so now.