Chapter 14: Mistakes and Movies

I've been waiting for the past thirty minutes in my room. I walk to the door, ready to go downstairs, but before I can make it one step, the door flies open. Nick walks in, his face not giving me any hints. He gets closer and closer, forcing me to sit on my bed.

"I'm going to ask you this one time, Julia. Did you do drugs?"

Alright, getting right to the point.

"No?"

"Is that a question or an answer?"

I stand up, hoping to appear less meek, "What does it need to be, Nick?"

That was a bad idea. Abort, abort, abort! Nick reaches back and delivers two hard blows on my backside.

"Ow, what the actual f*ck Nick?" I yell.

"Keep that attitude in check, or it'll be much worse."

"I didn't do drugs, alright." I grumble.

"Don't lie to me, Julia."

He reaches in his pocket, pulling out a smushed up cigarette.

"I found it in the yard, right outside your window."

When I don't reply, he straightens up to his full height.

"Julia, I want a clear answer. Did you do drugs or not?"

If I tell him that the ones in my locker weren't mine, he'd never believe me. And If I agree, he'd be pissed. I'm not gonna sit for a week anyway.

"Yes, I did." I admit.

I watch his expression change from anger to disappointment. There's no surprise on his face. He genuinely believes I would do drugs, and that fact scares me.

"I want you to hand all of it that you have."

"I don't have any." I reply, staring at the carpet.

"I find that quite hard to believe."

"I promise, I don't have any." My hands clench and unclench, deciding if I want to screw my self-preservation and bolt out the door.

If he finds my pack of cigarettes, my ass would be handed to me on a silver platter. But he won't.

His eyes are cold as he makes his way through my room. He throws me side glances to check for my reaction. He'll never find my cigarettes. Nick gets up as he says, "I guess I have to trust you for this one."

What a low blow.

"Go bring that chair here, Julia."

He eyes the one chair that hides my cigarettes.

"Why that chair?"

I try to hide the growing panic in my voice. I don't think it worked.

"Because I asked you to," I see the hints of a smirk on his face.

What a jerk.

"Here," I drop the chair in front of him. He slides his hand around the chair until a click is heard.

My feet tingle with the urge to run. It's what I've done my entire life. Run from my problems when I don't have an answer.

My shoulders tense when I see the box fall squarely into his hand.

Wordlessly, he holds it up for me to see.

I offer him a sheepish smile. He sighs and stands in front of me again. "I couldn't even trust you for that." Shaking his head, Nick pockets the box and grabs the chair. Sitting down, he looks at me, straight in my eyes. "My uncle used to smoke. Guess where he is now."