Chapter 12: Cancer Stick

Julias fingers twitched.

Her fingers longed to be moving, diving into pockets and purses, grabbing wallets or trinkets. They missed the bustling crowds of New York City and the unsuspecting strangers. Julia, however, did not miss the feeling of hunger, which came from living on the streets.

She was walking home from school when Julia smelled the familiar scent of cigars wafting around. Looking around, she spotted a couple of college boys hanging out, smoking a pack of cigarettes. Before her mind could think, Julia walked over.

She approached the boys and held a hand out.

"Would you be so kind as to spare one for me?" she asked smoothly.

She looked around, bored.

One boy, taller than the rest, smirked and winked.

"Nothing comes without a price, darling," Julia rolled her eyes.

She knew what he wanted.

"Do you want me to make out with you?" She cocked her head to the side, talking to the boy like you would a child.

The way his eyes twinkled told her she had said the right thing.

She leaned in close until she could smell his disgusting breath. They locked gazes. As they got closer and closer, the boy closed his eyes. He inclined his neck, waiting for her lips to touch his when Julia stopped short. His eyes flew open, reaching immediately for his pocket.

Now, this time, it was Julia who smirked.

"Are you looking for these, darling?"

She twirled the box of cigarettes between her fingers. She smiled and stalked off, glad to know that her fingers still had their talent. The boys stood, their mouths forming a perfect circle.

-----

Julia stood outside her window, dropping the ashes coming from her cigarette down below. Nick was at work, so Julia thought it was safe to bring out her box of smokes. She drew in a breath and puffed. It had been so long since she had had one of these. They calmed her nerves, and nothing felt so right in her fingers. Lost in thought, Julia wondered where her life took a wrong turn. When her parents died, she was a sweet child, not yet introduced to the harsh and cruel world. Where along the way did she lose that innocence? What happened to her? Where was that small girl who thought nothing could ever happen to her? Julia shoved those questions away, too scared to answer them. She assured herself the little girl she was was gone for good, killed the moment her parents died.

Julia took one long swing before putting out her cigarette. She turned around, fanning the smoke that gathered near her head when she saw her doorknob move. Thinking quick, Julia threw her used smoke out the window and pretended to be admiring the evening sky. How had she not heard him come up the stairs?

Nick walked into her room and offered her a smile, running a hand in his hair, a nervous habit that he had yet to break.

"How was school today," he asked, trying to break the silence.

"Fine."

He began to ask another question but stopped mid way, suspicion filling his features. "Is there smoke in your room?" His voice got icy, and he watched Julia like a hawk.

She tensed for a moment before relaxing, "Nah, I just took a hot shower, so it's probably from that."

Nick narrowed his eyes but gave the teen the benefit of the doubt.

"Well, I'm going to the store to buy some groceries. If you need anything, just call or text me. 'Kay?"

Julia nodded absentmindedly, still looking at her bed. If Nick turned just an inch around, he would see her entire box of cigarettes sitting out plainly on her bed. She held her breath, willing him to leave her room. As if reading her mind, he slowly got up and left. Sighing at her close call, she decided to hide her stash somewhere where he wouldn't find it. Julia didn't know where to hide her smokes. It had to be in her room. Anywhere else would be too risky. If he even tried to look, Nick would probably find it. Julia slumped in her chair, defeated, when she heard a creak coming from under her. She stood up abruptly and then smiled to herself. It appeared to her that she had found her hiding space.

-----

It was almost the end of her much-dreaded English class, and Julia had already gotten through half of her cigars since yesterday. Her head hurt, probably because of the nicotine, so she promised herself this would be the last pack she ever touched. Or smoked, for that matter. She hated her teacher, who would pick on her every chance she got. Just as Julia sensed that Mrs. Gibbons would call on her yet again, the phone rang.

Julia sighed, glad she dodged a bullet. Her happiness didn't last very long when she saw Mrs. Gibson smirk at her and murmur something in the phone. Loud enough for everyone to hear, she turned her back to the class, and in a sickly sweet voice, said, "Of course, I'll send Julia straight to the office."

The class snickered while Julia's face turned red, and anger bubbled up. She muttered a quick 'fuck you' to the teacher and angrily stalked off, her backpack slung over her shoulder.

Pushing the doors to the office open, Julia felt a sense of deja vu. Nick was sitting in the small room. Julia skilfully avoided his gaze but felt his eyes dig holes in the side of her face. She was confused but didn't let that show on her face. Years of experience of masking her emotions paid off quite well. She sat down, twisting a ring sitting on her index finger, a way for her to cope when she was stressed or nervous. An uneasy quiet settled in the room until Nick cleared his throat, "Do you know why you're here?"

Julia shook her head, wondering if they found out about the giant bag of chips hidden in her desk in History class. The principle, a fat man with thick spectacles, pushed forward an item which was previously unnoticed by Julia on his desk.

"Ms. Adler, we have found some," he paused, thinking for the right word, "questionable items in your locker."

*****

Hello, fellow human beings,

How has your day been? I hope it was great!

*Deep British accent* I have updated once more.

Thanks for sticking around till this chapter. It's really inspiring to see people vote on my stories. Plus, this time, I've left you peeps on a cliffhanger(P.S. somethin' big 'bout to happen!). So if you want me to update faster, be sure to click on that little star in the corner.

Please don't forget to comment too! I'm open to any ideas/storylines you want!!

Ciao for now,

WebtoonsLover