prologue

it was a cold, wet night

the woods were dark, the moon's light blocked by the clouds. it wasn't heavily raining, but it was sprinkling and the air felt damp.

it was quiet in the forest, not even the chirp of a bird pierced the silence.

suddenly footsteps could be heard, running through the trees. heavy panting accompanied the sounds.

a figure burst threw the trees, stumbling quickly over roots and logs. the person was obviously injured and exhausted by the way they moved.

the person was cloaked in all black clothes with a hood, concealing any information that could have been gained. the only thing a regular human could deduce is that the figure was short, maybe 5'1 or 5'2.

the person continued running through the forest, looking behind their shoulder every so often as if someone or something was following them.

they started slowing down, looking around more frantically. finally, after 30 minutes, they arrived at their destination.

a large stone wall cut through the forest, surrounding a wood and cobble mansion. lights glowed from the inside creating a warm atmosphere almost palpable from outside the wall.

the figure ran around the wall, searching for the gate to enter. in the process, a branch got caught into the persons hood, tugging it off their head. the figure payed no attention to it and continued running.

now a head of long brown hair was visible, tied up in a braid. the persons face was revealed, but a mask covered their face. the mask was a hard, oval, black thing, with eyes and a mouth hole. roses in a different shade of black creeped on the sides.

the person stumbled up to the wood gate and banged on it. a creak was heard, and the door opened slightly.

"what brings you to l'manburg" a gruff voice spoke up. this new person was very tall, probably 6'7. he too had a mask, with a creeper face on it. his armor was enchanted netherite, but it had unusual gold accents. strapped across his back was a trident, shining in the dark.

the figure seemingly sighed in relief and choked out a few words before collapsing, unconscious.

"help... schlatt... warn wilbur..."

"when I see the way you actwondering when I'm coming backi could do about anythingi could even learn how to love like youlove like you"

wondering when I'm coming back
i could do about anything
i could even learn how to love like you
love like you"

love like you - caleb hyles