In My Dream(Melizabeth)

For ChaosRhea(on ao3) as a 'Secret Santa' gift💓
( I kinda just blabbered on and idk what to think of this :I )

Summary: Yes, Meliodas dreamed of Elizabeth. But he was never able to talk to her through a dream until now.

~~~~~

She was right next to him, sleeping peacefully. The moon illuminated her hair, making it glisten over the pillow and her tranquil face put him at ease. Meliodas hadn't seen her in 10 years and she'd matured well. As always, she was beautiful. Not just in the way she looked, but the little things she did and her quirks which he adored. Meliodas would willingly fall as one of her victims if it meant she'd live.

He desperately wanted to caress her hair, he was yearning to cup her face to feel her skin under his hands, to have her smile aimed at him. Even though Meliodas was wrapped in rigid ropes, both him, Hawk and Elizabeth knew he could break free if he wished to. Yet, he didn't, and he wouldn't, to not scare her.

Glancing one last time at his princess, lying on her side and curled into a small ball, Meliodas  allowed his eyes to rest and to hopefully pull him into a deep slumber.

*****

It looked the same.

Meliodas slowly spun around, swallowing everything in sight. He took in the withered seats, the two statues, the lengthy pathway. Meliodas glanced to his right and everything hit him like a tidal wave.

All the memories this place contained-those times when war was brewing and their clans were fighting and they were in the midst of it, trying to stay together without flying apart. He reminisced the first time Elizabeth laughed, the first time she smiled at him and the first time he felt her atmosphere surround him. Meliodas recalled the games they played and the conversations they had, the light ones that ended with obvious flirting and the deep ones about their future, about what they would do once they got older. What their hopes were for the war and what they wanted to accomplish. He remembered chasing Elizabeth across the abandoned theatre, attempting to catch her while she laughed and swooped off each time. It was infuriating, but every time she giggled at his antics or glided back to tackle them both to the floor, it was worth everything in the entire universe.

Powered by visions of Elizabeth swimming through his mind, a lonesome, fat tear dropped haphazardly from his face. Why couldn't he save her?  Why couldn't he do anything to protect the person he loved? Why had he failed her 106 times? It wasn't the first time he'd cried over Elizabeth, and he knew it wouldn't be the last. 

Meliodas sauntered to one of the seats in Heaven's Theater, a place where they would simply sit and be content in each other's company. His fingers brushed over the cobbled stone. 3000 years ago, they would've been here.

"Meliodas."

He jumped.

"Hey, turn around." The soft voice continued with a giggle, "I won't bite."

That...that was definitely Elizabeth's voice. It had to be, only she could make him shiver like this and only she would be the cause of heat rushing through all his veins. But Elizabeth was asleep, she was supposed to be right next to him. Closing his eyes, Meliodas turned around to confront whoever it was that had imitated her voice impeccably. 

He heard a few steps and the atmosphere surrounding him developed into a sweet warmth that he'd missed. "You can open your eyes," Meliodas heard the imitator as one gentle hand worked its way onto his left shoulder, "it's me."

He slowly cracked one of his eyelids open before opening the other. His emerald orbs tried to adjust to the blinding light in front of him. Whatever it was, the radiance and luminosity of it made him feel at home, as if he was welcome somewhere, as if he had a purpose to live. The sheer brilliance of the glow made his knees feel weak, at the same time it gave him energy. Meliodas tried to catch a glimpse of what was through the glimmering haze, of what made him feel so complete.