XXI

*Keller's Pov*

I arrived back at the house late because I had stopped to grab something to eat.

Stanford and Katrina met me at the entrance "Hello Mr. Keller."

"Hello." I greeted back.

"They are both already asleep for the night but I'm sure they'll be thrilled to see you when they get up tomorrow." Katrina kindly informed me.

"Thank you both so much, I don't know how to say how much I really appreciated your help."

"No need Mr. Keller, they're complete angles plus having a kid who's all grown up gives me more knowledge."

I walked inside when they had left heading for the twins room. I opened the door for Mercy's room. It was still too adult like for her, she said she wanted to decorate it woth pinks and greys because they were her favorite.

I lent down kissing her forehead then I walked to the connecting door to Hannibal's room repeating the process.

I felt an unbelievable amount of guilt for not being here for them. I moved them here and we haven't even had much time to just have fun. I knew I had to enroll them in school soon. From their birth certificates Stanford gave me their birthdays were August sixteenth and school started August 31st plus they were turning five making them eligible for enrollment, it's only June so I have two months to prepare myself and them.

I wasn't feeling up to a shower because I just wanted sleep but sadly I couldn't sleep without one. It was short and I went straight to my bed after. Grabbing my phone to plug it up I saw I had gotten a message while in the shower.

Cainis to Keller:
Hey Kell, you make it home?

I smiled at his newfound nickname for me.

Keller to Cainis:
Yeah, sorry I didn't respond sooner I was in the shower.

Cainis to Keller:
Wish I could've been there to wash your back;)

Keller to Cainis:
Keep it in your pants big boy, I'm too tired.

Cainis to Keller:
Well then go ahead to bed love, I'll talk to you tomorrow?

Keller to Cainis:
Wait, I do have a question?

Cainis to Keller:
Shoot.

Keller to Cainis:
What did Bethany mean when she said I was your 'mate'?

Cainis to Keller:
It's hard to explain over the phone but shortly put, shifters souls are split, they get half and their mate gets the other, when they meet and finally consume the bond they become one.

Keller to Cainis:
What do you mean 'consume the bond'?

Cainis to Keller:
Um well, they make love and the shifter marks the other by biting a certain part on their mate, usually the crook of their neck, marking them as theirs so other shifters know that person is off limits.

Keller to Cainis:
Does the bite change them or something?

Cainis to Keller:
No, if the mate is human they can't be changed by a mating mark and the only way a human mate is changed is if they may die or are close to death. Shifters don't just turn people.

Keller to Cainis:
Makes sense, hope you don't feel intorragatedd.

Cainis to Keller:
I don't, I'm just surprised your so okay with everything.