XVI

Trigger warning. Disturbing content, read at own caution.

*Keller's Pov*

It's been two days since I'd come to see Cainis.

I talked to Stanford and Katrina about watching the twins, Katrina thinks they're angles so she was happy to agree.

The first time I talked to the twins after running off was pure heartbreak.

Mercy was crying hysterically, afraid I wasn't going to come back and Hannibal was mad that I made Mercy cry which resulted in him crying.

Needless to say I was heartbroken through and through.

Cainis' condition hasn't improved at all since I've been here, Bethany and Lincoln come in every two hours to check his vitals and change his bandages.

I cringe every time she removes them.

He has slices and these holes ranging from his neck to his leg, they look like bullet wounds yet somehow they look like teeth marks?

I must be going crazy.

The stab wound to his stomach has been minor but apparently it's what made his body give out finally.

Bethany had done immediate surgery to fix his left lung but he still needed support for breathing. It was devastating to see him like this, I just needed to hold on to hope of him getting better.

I was in and out of sleep from crying all the time, sometimes when Bethany came in she'd force me to eat reminding me I'm of no use under nurtured.

It was my fifth time waking up again, I looked at my phone seeing I had a missed call from Stanford.

Shit. I called back instantly.

"Hello."

"Thank the god Mr. Keller, Mercy has been begging and crying to talk to you for an hour nonstop, Hannibal is flipping out refusing to eat until his sister feels better. I've never seen them like this Mr. Keller."

Katrina honestly sounded freaked out.

"Alright breath Katrina, hand the phone to Mercy and I'll calm them both down."

I heard her walking to another room to pass the phone off.

"Is it really you Daddy?"

Her voice made me tear up for the hundredth time, she sounded so worried when she shouldn't be.

"Yes sweetheart it's me, I'm sorry I missed your call baby girl but I was so tired I didn't hear my phone go off."

I left out the fact that I had actually cried myself to sleep five times.

"It's better now Daddy, I just miss you with all my heart, you get back soon?"

"Yeah baby I do, I'll call you later on for bedtime, Tell Hannibal he needs to eat okay? I love you both dear."

"Bye Daddy."

The sound of the phone call ending tore me apart.

On one hand I wanted to stay here the whole time it took for Cainis to recover but I still had stuff that needed to be done for the twins.

I decided I'd stay another night and then go home. I hated the thought of leaving him but I also hated the twins being upset about my absence.

Hours had passed, I wondered where the time had went. I just held Cainis' hand and cried all day.

Bethany was coming in for her last check for the night soon. A little while later passed before I heard the door open.

"I brought some baked ziti for you, my husband used to love it the most out of everything I cooked."