April 8th, 12:22 PM

Also, before you read this chapter and think that the John I’ve written in this chapter is completely out of character, just know that this John has been sober for a week, so it brings out a side of him that no one, not even him, has seen before.

Going along with that, I am aware that merely a week of being sober is nowhere near enough time John would need to recover, but for story purposes, please just go along with it :)

When John Winchester was discharged from the Marines with PTSD, he refused therapy. He didn't see what good it would do. Besides, he had had his family that time. His two boys, and his beautiful wife. He was okay.

But that was before Mary had died. 

After that, being around him was like waiting for a bomb to go off, and after some time, he just took off, leaving his kids and checking back on them every month to make himself feel better about himself. He was alone in the world, lost without his soulmate, so that’s when he had turned to drink more heavily than he had before he had met Mary,  now there was no one to tell him to lay off, to say he’d had enough. Now that bottle was his only friend and that didn't improve his temper. 

He was a drunkard; plain and simple. His breakfast was whiskey with a rum chaser. He was slurring his words by lunchtime and was passed out by afternoon. The only way he got money was by hustling pool and playing poker, and empty beer cans and spirit bottles lay discarded throughout his car. 

The ex-marine detested himself and anyone who showed him kindness. When he was sure he was alone he would often cry for all the regrets and mistakes he’d made, for all the love he’d driven away.

He had done a lot of shitty things, he knew, but not once, would he have ever even dreamt about doing something like this. 

He had ran over a young girl, and ran. He was told that she was in the hospital with a brain injury and in a deep coma; and he regretted it everyday, loathed himself. 

So when the judge had declared that John’s punishment was life in jail; he was glad, he really was. He deserved it, and this way he could repent, and not hurt anyone in the process. 

It didn’t make it any better though, when he was told he had gotten a call from one of the guards, and was led into the place where visitors could talk to the prisoners over the phone and a glass screen. And then suddenly there were his two boys and -for some reason unknown to him- the blue eyed boy who had thrown himself in front of Dean when John had threatened to hit him with a bat-all staring at him, faces haunted. 

The second the ex-marine saw the blue eyed boy, he desperately wished that he wasn't there, the memory of almost killing his oldest son wasn't a good one, and not something he wanted to be reminded of. 

Looking down, John was shocked to see Dean holding hands with the boy. His face must have shown it, because Dean, his face hard and expressionless, nodded, confirming his suspicions. 

Of course. Why hadn't he seen it before? They were damn soul mates. He had seen his son look at the blue eyed boy like he used to look at Mary, and then there was the obvious clue of the boy throwing himself in front of Dean when in harm. His distracted and drunk brain hadn't been able to wrap his mind around that that night.