𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘛𝘢𝘭𝘦𝘴 𝘖𝘧 𝘉𝘢 𝘚𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘚𝘦

{the tales of ba sing se}

the tale of hana

   "here," iroh handed hana some coins. "get that painting that you have of your family redone."

   she tilted her head, "how'd you know about that?"

   no one, at least she thought, knew about that drawing. she kept it on her at all times and only ever looked at it when she was alone.

   it was done just before her father went off to the war. her mother feared that he would die and they wouldn't remember his face. so, they paid someone to draw them.

   during hana's last hug with her mother, she discreetly handed it to her. she wanted hana to remember, even if she was gone.

   after all the water that's drenched her, the fire that's nearly burnt her, and sweat that cooled her down that drawing was damn near destroyed. she could still make out their features, but not as well.

   so, claiming the necklace was the last thing that connected her and her family, wasn't exactly not true. if one more disaster struck her, it'd probably not be recoverable.

   "i saw it. once," he told her. "but it's damaged now, isn't it?"

   she nodded, "yeah, yeah it is."

   "well, dear, get it done. i promise you'll cherish it," he smiled sadly.

   she smiled back and bowed, "thank you, iroh."

   "of course," he bowed back. "now, i'm going out. will you two be alright?"

   "we will. we're working later, right?" she asked.

   "yes, now, i must be going," he turned around and began to walk out the door, "you get that done while i'm gone, okay?"

   "i will," she smiled.

   iroh walked out the door and closed it.

   she turned back and noticed zuko meditating, "what's today?" she asked.

   "lu ten's birthday," he replied.

   that makes so much sense. oh no.

   "oh."

   "are you going to do that?" he stopped meditating and questioned her.

   she thought for a moment, "yeah, i will."

   "good."

    to be fair, she didn't need his approval, but it was nice, she supposed.

   she began to gather some things and prepare herself for a small outing. she wore a cheap earth kingdom dress. for her, it was nice to be back in her nation's clothes. she felt comforted. it felt like she was home.