Rain? How Wonderful

"George..."

Hearing his name this early in the morning annoyed him. George snuggled deeper into his warm sheets. If he ignored the person calling, maybe they'd leave him alone.

"George."

Or not.

"George!"

"Sam..." George opened his eyes, they were blurred with sleep. He rolled over to the nearest window. Dawn hadn't even broken the sky yet. Grumbling under his breath, George laid back down, shutting his eyes. "It's not even dawn yet, let me sleep..." He slurred his words as his brain started to drift off.

"No you lazy bum." Sam shook George's body. "Get up, just for five minutes and I'll let you go back to bed." Sam pressed. "Please?" He whined.

George shot open his eyes and stared daggers at his best friend. "Why?"

"It's your birthday, right?"

"It is?" George finally sat up. A yawn overcame him and he stretched out his limbs as he blinked the sleep from his eyes. "Oh yeah I guess it is..." He shrugged. George was never a fan of his birthday, it had always been Sam to remember it and celebrate it, with or without George.

"I wanna show you something!" Sam chirped as he bounced his way to his bunk where he pulled his boots on. ?

"Are we going outside-" George managed to say before Sam threw George's clothes and boots at him. Sighing with half-annoyance and half-curiosity, George got ready. His outfit wasn't much different from what he wore in the future. A pair of simple trousers, a white blouse, and a vest of brown, not blue.

Once his boots were on and laced, Sam wasted no time at all. Sam grabbed George's hand and herded him out of their room. They were currently in the knight's training camp. They were still so young. Sam led George down the hall corridor of identical rooms until they reached the outside. The air was cool and moisture still lingered after a recent downpour

By now the sun was shining through the clearing skies. George didn't really question where Sam was taking him, this was fairly normal. Being prematurely woken up and then forced to go on a random journey was just the way just the way their friendship worked. George would always be annoyed at first, but he would always end up having a great time. George didn't know it at the time, but these would be the memories that he would cling to in the future.

Sam walked down a path that was clearly never used. It was thick with underbrush and foliage, it took a minute or two to conquer. Once they had cleared the overgrown walkway, George was brought to a small hill. While the hill was small and insignificant, it still overlooked the plains they were in.

George looked towards the horizon. No matter how beautiful the landscape was, he would never know it at its purest state. His faulty eyes caused him to see the world in a constant state of decay. Browns and rough yellows colored his world. He even saw the curve of a rainbow off to the right. He shrugged.

"Okay?" George said softly. "It's a sunrise..." He said unenthusiastically.

"Mhm!" Sam got giddy. "I know you aren't impressed because you can't see it."

George scoffed playfully. "Yes Sam, I am colorblind, nice of you to remember." He chuckled.

"Happy eighteenth birthday, George." George was then presented with a small box wrapped in colored paper and a ribbon.

George gave a curious look to his friend as he took the box. He carefully unraveled it and opened the box. It was a pair of white goggles with tinted glass. "What is it?" George took the goggles out and looked at them in detail.