The Juggernaut

((TW // War, blood, dying ))

Once Dream was taken away, the group of remining men separated as well. Everyone was tired and confused. George betrayed them? After that whole speech about trust just the night before? No one could believe it, no one wanted to. But the times matched up. The time where everyone went to their rooms to change, George could have easily spoken to Withers in that time. And the fact he offered to go down to the beach, alone, to get Clay just added to the fact. 

Every ounce of energy and willingness had trickled away from Sapnap's bones, leaving nothing but a skeleton of exhaustion. His back ached from hours of horseback, his legs felt like jelly, and his brain like mush. The weight of his own heavy armor slowed his pace to a shamble. He excused himself from everyone else and retired to his chamber for the night. 

He locked the door behind him and immediately  took off the plates of metal that covered his body. He placed the armor set on an armor stand he had asked for. The lighter parts of his armor had dulled from use, the dents told a story of fighting. The darker and underlayer of his armor was cleaner, less rough. Gently, Sapnap traced his fingers over the armor. He had won this set after the Championships held by King Noxite and Scott in the Sixth kingdom. 

Left in nothing but his black long-sleeved undershirt and trousers, Sapnap flopped back onto his bed giving his body a moment to relax. He ran his fingers through his shaggy black hair, pulling it back into a ponytail. 

It was true what Bad said, a few weeks without the enchanted water and it did wonders for Sapnap's memories.  He remembered Clay. Well some of him. Some memories were a bit fuzzy, nothing was complete, but it was a hell of a lot more he had. It worked backwards. The most recent memories came back first. And the last memory he had of Clay was five years ago... at the City of Mists. 

Sapnap was a year younger than Clay. He was sixteen when he laid dying in his best friends arms, he was just sixteen when he met Death's eyes with hast. He'd never forget looking up when the sun broke through the clouded skies and seeing her. Cloaked in wisps of black. She wasn't scary, it was peaceful.

It was the final stretch of the war, one more battle and they could have it all, or lose it all. Sapnap remembered marching on that field. He didn't know who he was with or how he got there, but now he did. He was dressed in his commander's uniform, green with black and gold accents. He stood next to Clay. He stood next to his best friend. 

Sapnap placed his hand on the side of his torso where his large scar was as he remembered how he got it. He was protecting Clay. He was... protecting Clay! Like he had been doing his whole life. He was protecting him. 

The two friends charged into battle together, facing all odds together like they always had. There was one second where they got separate. One brief second that changed the course of the future. 

Back on that field, Sapnap fought with ever ounce of energy. He'd be damned if he let his closest friend's crown fall. His battle axe in hand, he was the master of the field. Each one of Ember's men who felt his blade met their end. He was high on adrenaline when he heard it. 

"Nick!"

Clay never called Sapnap by his birthname unless it was serious. Sapnap turned on his heel, facing Clay. Clay had two enemy's on either side. Easy. Nothing Sapnap couldn't handle. He charge, slamming his axe down with force, the enemy caught under it's grasp dispersed into black and purple smoke. 

When Sapnap turned to face the other, Clay had it handled. Beaming with pride, Sapnap looked around. Behind Clay, another one of Ember's men approaching. This one was different though. It wasn't in the thick black armor it's comrades had. It had light armor, and instead of the war hammers, this one had a sword one-handed sword. Clay didn't notice this one.

"Clay!" 

It was like his body moved without a second thought. Sapnap flung himself forward just saw this creature lifted it's branded sword up. Sapnap got right into the line of fire, the side of his torso in the cross. The thing swung down, slashing Sapnap from the crook of his armpit all the way down to the midst of his hip. 

Clay made quick work of his opponent and went to Sap's aid when he noticed the waterfall of crimson flowing down Sapnap's side and pooling on the floor.  Clay leapt forward, slashing at the slimmer enemy. Once it was gone, Clay looked at Sapnap. A small amount of blood trickled down Sapnap's mouth as he collapsed, falling into Clay's arms. 

Come to think of it, had Sapnap ever seen Clay cry before? Clay desperately held onto Sapnap, screaming, crying, promising that it would all be okay. Sapnap would have loved to believe that, he really would have. But it was only a matter of time now. 

Sapnap looked up at Clay with blurry vision, he had grown up seeing Clay's face everyday but in the moment it was blurred and distorted. A smile tugged at his mew. "Hey..." His voice was weak. Clay looked at Sapnap's face. With a trembling hand, Sapnap reached up and placed a bloody had on Clay's cheek. "You can finish this... You are stronger than you know..." He croaked out. 

He heard Clay start crying even harder, pleading for mercy. Sapnap was ready though. He relaxed his head, letting it roll back so he stared into the clouded skies. As if the heavens were breaking through, rays of golden light ripped through the black clouds. He had fought his battles. Sapnap grew up with the only goal in mind being protect Clay. And he did.

Back into the present, Sapnap shot straight up, his eyes landing on the door. That was his life's mission. Protect the Prince. He had done a pretty slack job of that in recent years. But now every memory of him and his best friend flowed back. He'd do right by Clay. Sapnap would continue this fight until his final breath. 

And he needed Clay to know that.