Bittersweet Wine

Dinner that night was tense. No one knew what to say or how to approach the situation. Philza sat at the head of the table, his twins on either side of him, Tommy next to Techno and Tubbo was seated next to Wilbur. Clay sat at the opposite head.

Taking a long sip of his sweet nectar that was his wine, Clay connected his eyes to Philza's. Philza offered a small smile and placed his fork on his plate with a ceramic tink.

"Clay," Philza began to speak, "it's your call." He said simply, trying to draw Clay's attention

"Must we discuss politic at the table?" Tommy grumbled, shoving his face fill of bread.

"When politics revolve around the life or death of a friend, yes, we must discuss it." Philza sighed at his youngest son. "Anyways, Clay, do you have a plan?"

Clay's mind was elsewhere entirely. He stared forward with a blank expression, barely sipping at the wine that touched his lips. His mind had wondered into the realm of fantasy and dream.

He was curious about returning back to the Fifth. Of course, he had spent his years of exile there and the surrounding area, but going within those stone walls again, being a part of that rich society scares him. He wondered if his hunters would be there. Surely, they would be.

Would they be cutthroat? Would... Would they be in suits...? Would... George be in a suit...? Red dusted his pale cheeks and nipped at his ears as he thought about George in a suit.

"Does..." Clay mumbled into his wine glass, his gaze still locked forward. "Does your court mage have the spell?" He asked, finally looking at Philza.

"Eret? He's been researching the counter-spell but without Ember's direct wording, there is only so much we can do. All we know, is its an enchantment for liquids" Philza admitted.

Clay tapped his ring finger against his glass, listening to the soft clinking. "Then we'll do that..." He said mostly to himself. Breaking from his trance, he sat up and placed his glass on the table. "The Fifth's family will attend as normal. No extra guards, nothing. The invitation stated each royal family member may bring a plus one. Yes?"

Philza looked at his three sons and Tubbo then nodded. "Yes, but I don't see-" It clicked. "Oh..."

"Technoblade," Techno perked up once Clay said his name, "is known as a fairly... How do I say this nicely...?"

"Distance? Anti-social? Quiet? Introverted? Loner-" Wilbur started naming off words, earning a kick on the shin from Techno from under the table. "Ow!"

Techno scoffed, a small smirk tugging at the ridge of his mew.

"Techno is known as a dualist. And is very picky with his company. So, if he were to bring his sparring partner, who just happens to be a masked guard. Well..." Clay smiled to himself. "I can wear a party outfit under the armor and sneaked away. I know the halls; I can find Ember's notes. And I can get her spell."

Philza looked at his plate and sighed. "You want to do... espionage...?"

"Yes. We can use this to scope out the castle, find her weaknesses and everything..." Hope filled Clay's words.

"It could work... No one will miss a nameless guard." Techno muttered in a monotone voice.

"We wouldn't be nameless. A royal introduction is standard practice at a formal gala. You'll need a different name." Wilbur chimed in.

"That's easy enough. Are we all in agreement? We use this Gala as a scouting mission, and nothing more?" Clay said.

"Agreed." The royal family mumbled in unison.