chapter thirty-nine

"what do you mean make it easy?"

jiyoung shuffled in her spot, fixing her position on the couch to turn towards jaemin. "they obviously want you back. but you're over here- as usual- thinking too much about it. just get up, go talk to them, and then boom. happy family time."

jaemin scoffed, "happy family time? you're crazy, that isn't gonna work."

"have you tried it?" she stared at him, m&m's in hand.

"no, but-"

"but yourself. now pick up that phone and go call your mom back before i do it myself," she told him, eating more candy.

"you wouldn't dare-"

"no?" she quipped, reaching for his phone. she nearly got it, jaemin's hand swooping in to grab the device last second.

"fine." he huffed, marching up and retreating to the other room.

"i have supersonic hearing as well!" she yelled from the couch.

"fuck off!" jaemin yelled back, making her laugh.

she waited patiently for his return, making herself more comfortable.

her legs stretched out to the empty space in front of her and she slid back, her body a straight line against the solid white couch.

a yawn escaped her lips as she reached for the remote and began looking at movies the two boys had recorded on their tv.

upon finding one that sparked her interest, she pressed play and watched from there. every now and then she would reach for the table and grab another snack, eyes trained on the tv.

every time she did reach for a snack, it was like she didn't even have to touch the snack before it was already in her hand. she pretended to not care but every time it happened, she got a bit nervous.

soon enough the tallboy had come back with his hand stuffing the phone into his back pocket.

"scoot over," he told her, softly smacking his hand against her ankle.

"um, no."

"this is literally my house too, now move."

she finally complied and sat back up, letting room surface for jaemin. "so what happened?"

"what do you mean what hap-"

"jaemin," she warned, wanting to know what happened.

"okay, okay. they..." he paused as if trying to find the right words to use.

"go on?"

"they, uh, they said i could come home any time i wanted and that they'd continue paying for my tuition. but i could also stay here with renjun if i liked the private space more."

"so i was right."

"no."

"that's what i'm hearing."

"you're obviously hearing impaired. you need to get that checked out before you go completely deaf. otherwise, nayeon would have to rant to me about all the things she and jeno does and i don't want that back."

"yeah she told me about how you and soojin were always together and she had no one to rant to cause she didn't want to bother the other guys."

"oh right, about that."

"about what?"

"soojin. i also like broke up with her when my parents said they'd start paying again. that's why it took so long."

"yelling?" jiyoung asked. jaemin nodded. "cussing?" nod. "crying?" nod. "guilt-tripping?" nod. "i say you got off easy."

"me too. she's so mean and i don't even know why."

"i'm guessing you tried to be that cliché perfect boyfriend who made it his mission to change his girlfriend for the better?"

he laughed, "yeah for the first year. then i got tired and just accepted it. she's never gonna change. i'll put money on that, too."

"yeah, yeah, whatever. now that we've got that out of the way..." she trailed off.

"what?" he asked, chewing a piece of popcorn.

"you guys got sucky tv shows."

"you don't even watch tv."

"yeah cause they all suck."

"okay so what do you want to go do?"

"today? nothing. actually, i got a job i have to pick up a shift for in like twenty since we spent so much time in here instead of studying. but tomorrow? you decide. nayeon and jeno are going out for another date so i got free time."

"wanna go to that painting cafe thing with renjun? he's been dying to go."

"sounds fun enough. text me the address later."

i published the first chapter of my new book WORLD OUTSIDERS today!!! go check it out if you'd like :Dit was also have daily updates until the 10th chapter and then it will have every other day updates

it was also have daily updates until the 10th chapter and then it will have every other day updates