chapter thirty

"uh, jiyoung?"

"uh, jiyoung?"

looking away from her hands, she looked up at the body she had just crashed into.

"why are you always here at three in the morning?" she asked, not really caring for a response.

her knees bent as she picked up the still-in-tact container and began her way to the front cashier to pay for it.

"why are your eyes black?"

her heart stopped at the question, not realizing she left the house without any precautions.

"and did you just air bend?"

there it goes. heart no longer still, now racing. i might just die right now.

her head lowered partially as she turned back around, an awkward tension now between the two.

"i can explain the black eyes, i swear. i mean, not really but i can. and no, no i didn't air bend."

jaemin looked at her with one eyebrow raised, "i'm pretty sure i just saw you air bend."

she turned back around to head to the automatic check out, no longer wanting to face anyone without her contacts in to protect her black eyes.

"well obviously your eyes are broken," she stated, paying for the food. her shoulders somehow tensed harder, feeling bad for her plain attitude.

stuffing the remaining money back into the wallet part of her phone case, she grabbed the ramen and began her way out.

"you're just gonna leave?" she heard jaemin ask.

she glanced at him for a second and waved, "gotta get home, blondy."

jaemin stood in the store, not really remembering what he had come inside to get.

making her way inside, jiyoung prepared her noodles and scurried into her room

slowly, she ate them while watching random youtube videos she found on her recommended page.

although she let out a few laughs here and there while watching the video, her mind couldn't stop thinking back to the encounter she had with jaemin at the store.

she wasn't an air bender.

right?

no, it couldn't be. her father was a water bender and from what she knew of her mother, she was a non bender from the earth kingdom.

it wouldn't make any sense for her to be an air bender. especially with her eyes. they were black, nothing like that of the air nations gray ones.

her eyes didn't match any nation, really. her existence, plainly, just didn't make any sense whatsoever.

she'd never really pondered on the thought. surely she would have questions here and there every now and then but who would she ask?

her father?

just the thought in itself was laughable. she barely saw him that much, how would she even ask?

they didn't have a bad relationship, just one that was average. they talked here and there, he bought her food, water, gave her shelter. everything a parent should be doing. it was mediocre but she couldn't really change anything if he was always cooped up doing work.

as far as she could remember it was always working, work, work for him. he wasn't around a whole lot which she could say she was thankful for in some aspects, like learning how to do stuff for herself, an example being developing a good academic consistence. but then again she never got to learn how to cook or do anything like that.

the sound of her phone's text message ringtone brought her back out of her daze.

she quickly scanned over the message and sent back a reply.

-

nayeon

yooooo

how'd u know i was up?

jaemin

huh

he said he ran into u and blah blah blah so i thought i'd text you

alright then what's up

i had a question

proceed

u wanna come by the academy tomorrow and watch us train for a bit? we can give u a tour.

training?

yup

the guys all have to train in their element classes but i got sword fighting and martial arts 😎

wanna try it out?

i mean sounds kinda fun

sure i'll go

great

i'll pick u up tomorrow

i'm so indecisive deciding how i want my books to look omg this is a problem