Chapter Fourteen - Someone Like You (The Stand-In)

Prem's Point of View

"Emmy, what are you doing here?" I looked over my shoulder to see Boun standing in the living room wrapped in a blanket.

"Boun!" She hurried inside walking past me, "comment vous sentez vous?" She speaks French too.

Of course, she does.

As soon as I closed the door, I was just in time to witness Emmy kissing both sides of Boun's cheeks.

"Careful, I don't want you to sick." Boun told her; his voice filled with concern.

"Oh, please unlike you, I got the flu vaccine," She laughed, as she made her way into his kitchen. "I brought groceries, so Prem won't have to leave the house for a while."

The way she effortlessly navigated through each cabinet and the fridge cemented the fact that she had been to Boun's place on several occasions.

I didn't like it one bit.

Gee, thanks. That's what I really wanted to say with a generous amount of sarcasm, but I managed to choke it back.

"Thank you," I said, and tried to make myself sound profoundly grateful.

"You didn't have to do that Emmy." Boun plopped down on his blue sectional.

"It would be either me or your mom." She giggled, "My visit is going to be very brief, unlike maê, who would have insisted staying overnight."

"Good point." My boyfriend muttered as he patted the empty space next to him for me to sit down.

I really didn't want to, I was still in my feelings, pissed over the gorgeous BFF I knew nothing about, but I certainly didn't want this Emma to sit next to him either, so I relented. When I sat down, I placed my hand on his knee.

Once Emma returned from the kitchen, she took a seat on one of the white futon chairs

"You have no idea how happy I am to see you two together." Her words were filled with such genuine serenity, it was becoming more difficult to hold disdain towards her.

She didn't really do anything to make me feel such resentment for her. It wasn't her fault that she was beautiful.