Chapter One: New Beginnings Part 1

"So!" Emily smiled as her bright blue eyes shifted from Carson's shocked face to Noelle's surprised face. "How do you guys know each other?" She asked as she fiddled with the deck of cards they planned to use to play Rummy. They all sat in a circle in the floor and Noelle casted her gaze down into her phone.

Carson looked over Noelle's body slyly. He didn't want to be a creep or anything. She seemed to be glowing right in front of him. Her skin held a healthy, soft glow that either he never paid attention to or she just acquired that look. She also looked smaller as if she lost weight over the summer--not like she needed to, to Carson, she was beautiful at any size. He noticed the flare of her hips and the definition of her waist. Her style changed as well. She traded her baggy, underground band t shirts for more form-fitting blouses, tanks and shirts that showed her cleavage. She threw out her loose jeans that she no longer fit for denim skirts and shredded jeans that accentuated her hips and ass. Carson wasn't quite sure if he liked the new 'improvements' Noelle underwent over the summer.

"Um..." Carson's eyes lingered on Noelle for a second before flicking them to Emily who had just posed a question for both Noelle and Carson. "We had a thing." He replied, however, Noelle decided to speak at that exact moment as well however, with a slightly different answer.

"We dated." She those words tumble from her mouth. She quickly realized that Carson didn't quite say the same thing. They didn't even see their past relationship in the same light. It was as if he saw her as some 'entanglement' and she saw it as something important and something worth remembering--and he simply did not. Carson didn't mean for it to come out that way.

Emily sensed the tension and decided to change that subject. "Uh...let's play." She said. Tyler noticed her awkwardness.

"Don't even fret, Mamas. They've got an intense history and none of it is your fault." He said coolly. 

"Nah, we're chill. Right, Carson?" Noelle replied as she flickered her honeyed-eyes towards him. It's been forever since she's seen him in the flesh. He even cut his hair into this cute, boyish style. She felt a faint flutter in her chest whenever he looked her in her eyes. She swore she was over him. She's even been on a couple Tinder dates to find rebound. She went through the steps of getting over him. Then why does it feel like she melting into a growing puddle?

"Yeah, we're chill." He replied lowly. 

They began to play the game of Rummy for a few minutes when Emily suddenly remembers something, "Noelle! There are a shit ton of parties tonight on the Frat Row." Emily nudges Noelle's shoulders as if begging her to accompany her. Noelle gave her the side eye.

"Okay...what does this have to do with me?" She laughs lightly. As she laid her card down and took another one. 

"We should go! Please Noelle? I even got Vodka in my closet, we can pregame or shitfaced. Up to you." Emily clasped her pale hands together and poked out her bottom lip. Carson watched Noelle closely when he felt Tyler nudge his shoulder and whisper.

"Damn dude, at least act like you're over her." He chuckled. Carson rolled his eyes. 

"I am." Carson said.

"Okay..." Tyler replied.

Noelle continued to think if she wanted to go out. The Noelle six months ago would have definitely declined and given it no second thought or reconsideration. But, she wasn't the same girl from six months ago. She's gonna do her and pay attention to nobody else. The new her wanted to party. "Fuck it, why not?" Emily squealed in excitement. She looked over to Tyler and Carson to extend the invitation.

"Oh God, you guys can come too if you want!" 

Tyler looked over to Carson and started to say, "Uhh...I don't really th--"