chapter four.

CHAPTER FOUR: COME SAIL AWAY

CHAPTER FOUR:
COME SAIL AWAY.

⋅ ∙ ∘ ☽ ༓ ☾ ∘ ⋅ ⋅

IT WAS NEVER said that Birdie had very many friends. Growing up as the only child of two hunters that traveled the United States while they slew over hundreds of heinous monsters up until the day they died, it was safe to assume that making friends wasn't something Birdie had learned to do; nor was it one of the things her mother found essential for her daughter to know how to do. It hadn't helped that Birdie's so-called "quirks" sometimes settled her with the "weird new girl" title whenever she was forced into attending yet another new school. It was a feeble attempt by her mother for Birdie to continue her education while her parents worked on cases; that is if they didn't drop her off at Bobby's. It wasn't easy, and her parents knew it, too, but there wasn't much they could do.

"There are lives at stake, honey. We need to think of the big picture," Serena Fowler would always say as if it excused everything she did or forced Birdie to do. Though Reese did do his best to encourage his daughter to try and find something she enjoyed when she was left alone——whether it was painting, writing, drawing, playing an instrument or two, or knitting——it didn't matter what it was.

He wanted Birdie to at least get a taste of a normal childhood as she'd been robbed of ever having one the day she was born.

Yet, it wasn't until near the end of her freshman year that she finally found something she was rather good at——besides killing monsters or annoying the Winchester brothers——thanks to another lonely girl who took a chance at getting to know Birdie instead of writing her off like everyone else.

"Aaaaaand another one bites the dust."

"Shut the fuck up."

"You always have been a sore loser."

"I haven't lost yet, asshole."

Kaiya Hamed peeked across the Battleship set as they sat at the kitchen table, all but one of Birdie's ships sunken while four of Kaiya's still remained perfectly unbothered. "It's just a matter of time, Bird," Kaiya smugly hummed, softly giggling at the disgruntled expression on Birdie's features.

Birdie grumbled under her breath, rolling her eyes as she huffed at her friend's cockiness. She carefully examined the board in front of her, still struggling to figure out where Kaiya's ships were placed as she gnawed on her bottom lip in thought.

How hadn't she hit any more of Kaiya's ships by now?

But, as a thought suddenly struck her, she loudly gasped and leaned back so her face was in full view for Kaiya. Her eyes were wide, gawking at Kaiya who was suspiciously eying the hunter in front of her. "You motherfucker," Birdie snapped, standing up with a fire burning in her eyes. Kaiya tried to protest, attempting to cover up her side of the board as if it would hinder Birdie like she already knew what the woman thought. "You don't have the rest of your ships on there, do you?"