Chapter 15: Luke's Hospital Stay

Caroline's POV:
"Doctor is he okay?" I asked.

The doctor took a breath.

"Ma'am I'm sorry but right now he's critical. He has a few broken bones which we've fixed but he was having trouble breathing earlier. I'm not sure he's out of the woods just yet. I'm sorry y'all I wish I had better news." And with that he walked away.

My heart sank after hearing that. I can't lose Luke. I love him so much I can't imagine life without him. What if he doesn't make it? I don't have a job. I mean insurance doesn't last forever. There's no one to blame for what happened but I'm sure Michaela feels like it's all her fault. I have to keep her calm and chipper. Luke's the one who decided to leave and knowing him he was so mad he probably ran a red light or something. All I know is this really sucks. I keep praying but then I always think of the worst case scenario. The doctor said we were allowed to see him but right now I was really nervous about what he looks like and about all the bruises and cuts he might have.

Even thought Brittany isn't the first person I would think about calling, I do trust Jason more than any other guy when it comes to my kids. He's always been there for us and we've been there for him and his girls. I called him before we went in and he said he'd go over now with Brittany to help Amanda with the boys. I told him somethings to make it easier and then hung up. Michaela was standing outside Luke's room staring at him through the window. I went up behind her and had my hands on her shoulders. "It's all my fault." She began to cry and looked down at the ground.

"Baby it's not your fault at all. Your dad made the decision to leave earlier and he probably got upset while he was driving. I'm positive that this isn't your fault baby girl." I kissed her head.

"Are you okay to go in?" I asked her. She nodded and took a deep breath. I don't think either of us were mental prepared for what we were going to see but I was doing my best to stay strong for our kids. We walked through the door and I nearly lost it. Luke had cuts and bruises everywhere on his body. His right leg was in almost a full length immobilizer (Can't move it) and his left wrist was in a cast too. I could tell that Mickey was about to breakdown and lose it. She went over to his side and I saw her crying.

"I'm sorry daddy. I don't hate you. I love you daddy! Wake up!" She begged.

It broke me heart hearing that. Just then the doctor told me to come outside so I closed the door and we stood in the hallway. "So where do we go from here?" I asked wiping my own tears.

"Mrs. Bryan I'm happy to say that it appears when we re-evaluated his leg injury we discovered it wasn't as serious. He shouldn't need surgery." He smiled.

"What about his arm and his head. It looks like there's a lot of stitches." I told him.

"Yes ma'am it seems he has a concussion and we won't know how serious it is until he wakes up? Right now Luke's body has been rattled and it needs time to heal." He explained and I just sighed not know what was gonna happen.

"The amount of time he needs is up to him. Sleeping is how he's healing right now. He could wake up tonight, or tomorrow or in a few days. I can't say for sure." He continued.

"He'll be okay right? None of this is life threatening and he won't die right?" I questioned.

"No ma'am nothing is life threatening." He answered confidently. I took a sigh of relief.

"Also, talking to him might help, he may be asleep but he might still be able to hear you." He told me.

I walked back in and saw Michaela asleep in the chair next to his bed. The doctor said to talk to him so I did. All I could say was 'I love you' and 'don't go.' I really hope he wakes up soon.

*early morning hours*

Luke's POV:
My head was pounding. I was trying to open my eyes but the darkness seemed better. I know I'm in the hospital. I know Caroline and Michaela are here too. I heard what Michaela said earlier. I'm just glad she didn't run off somewhere. I was still trying to open my eyes and slowly I did. I looked around and felt Caroline laying on the bed with me. "I knew she'd never leave." I thought to myself and smiled. Then I looked around a little more and saw Michaela asleep in the chair next to my bed. Poor baby she must be exhausted. I looked at the clock and it was almost 4am. I think Caroline would be mad if I didn't wake her even though it's so early.

"Baby," I whispered, "Baby wake up." I nudged her a little bit and she stirred.

I sighed and laughed.

"Baby wake up please. Come on open them baby blues I love you." I said and kissed her a little bit.

She started kissing back and it got as heated as it could for a hospital bed and our baby girl laying next to us.

"I missed you so much." She cried into my shoulder and hugged as tight as she could without hugging me.

"I'm so sorry. It's all my fault. I was mad and cryin and I couldn't see what color the light was. I'm so sorry. I caused all of this and almost ruined my perfect family." I looked down and sighed.

"Luke she's been here to whole time. You didn't ruin anything. Michaela wake up princess. Someone wants to see you." Carol said.

Michaela started to wake up and rubbed her eyes. When she saw me she just smiled. "Oh daddy I'm sorry, I didn't mean it, none of it. Please don't be mad at me." She cried.

I held my good arm out to hug her ms she ran to my side and wrapped her arms around my neck. I kissed her cheek and held her.

"Shh baby it's alright. I'm okay. See? I'm gonna be fine I promise. And I'm not mad at you. I know you didn't mean it." I replied.

"What do you mean?" She asked.

I smiled at her, "I heard what you said when you all first came in."

"I love you daddy." She replied.

"I love you too sweetie. Hey baby where are the boys?" I asked.

"Jason and Brittany are at the house with them and Amanda. He stayed over last night since we never left here." She explained. I took a sigh of relief. Jason is like a brother to me and he's always been there for us.

"When can I go home?" I asked her.

"In a few days." The doctor chimed in as he came through the doorway, "I wanna monitor you just to make sure nothing gets worse. I'm afraid you'll be laid up for a while Luke."

I sighed at hearing that. This was the last thing I wanted to happen but it's my fault for not paying attention while I was driving.

"Great and I suppose the next thing my wife is gonna tell me is that my truck is totaled as well ain't that right?" I said sarcastically.

"I'm sorry baby. But hey it's just a truck. At least it wasn't your bronco. And besides your truck is replaceable, you're not." She reminded me.

After that the doctor checked on me periodically through the day. Jason brought the boys for a little bit but everyone except caroline left with Jason and Brittany. We had to force Michaela to go home because she was so set on being here with me. Later that night the nurse gave me my final dose of meds for the night and I dozed off.

*a few days later*

I'm finally being released from the hospital and the doctor ordered strict bed rest for the next two weeks. This is gonna be hell but at least everything seems to have blown over from me and Michaela so that's good because I don't know what I'd do if she wasn't here.