Prologue

Nine years ago

"Mama, Mommy" I repeated as her breathing began to slow. The cuts on her wrist had dried blood around them even though more blood was seeping from her wounds. I held her hand as she lay in my lap slowly losing consciousness. I held her for the longest time but she was leaving me.

"Mama" I stroked her hair as she fell asleep in my arms. The kitchen floor was cold so I went to get Mama a blanket.

When I came back from my bedroom four large men were next to mommy. She was asleep and they were yelling at her. What did they want from my mommy? She's tired. Mommy wanted to sleep.

They heard the creek that the stairs made once I reached the last step. They were yelling. They were coming to me. They wanted to take me and my mama.

The big man grabbed me and I couldn't move. He was asking "where is it" and he shook me. My arm hurt.

He was angry and mean. He kept asking me "where is it" the other men were pouring water on my mama.

I cried for my mama. She wanted to sleep and they didn't leave her.

The man gave me a shot, my arm hurt even more. I was getting dizzy. I told them to leave my mommy alone.

They were slapping her but she wasn't waking up from her sleep.

They said bad words. Mama didn't let me say those words.

"Fuck! She's dying" one of the men yelled. "Find the fucking contract." They were making a mess, mommy didn't like when the house was messy.

The door broke and even more, men came. These men had big guns. "Police get down! Get down!"

I was sleepy, like mommy. My eyes shut and I fell asleep next to mommy.