Chapter 37: Rocky Road

Start from the beginning

"(Ok well it wasn't the berries...) Did you pick any dodgy herbs?"

"I picked rosemary, parsley and a dash of basil that I grounded up. Why? Is there something wrong?"

"I was just wondering why you were so grumpy was all"

Your cheek was seared medium-rare by a mighty slap. Kings and Queens across the globe heard that, and lovers felt their cheeks tingle in a painful unity. Raphtalia walked off, angrier than ever.

"Well...shit"

"WELL, ISN'T THIS DETOUR AMUSING?"

"And you show up why exactly?"

"TO MOCK YOU. AFTER ALL, YOU ARE BEHIND SCHEDULE. NOW I DON'T CARE HOW, BUT YOU MUST GO THAT MOUNTAIN BY THE NEXT FULL MOON"

"Yeah Yeah I know...wait, Raphtalia!" you cried, running to catch up to her.

*sigh* "If only I could go back and live out my youthful days just one more time..."

"Raphtalia...wait up...Raphtalia!" you shout, panting like a dog.

"Leave me alone (Yn)"

"No look I...I...I'm really sorry ok? I didn't mean to upset you or-"

You stopped dead in your tracks. Raphtalia was close. Really close. Her face pushed up against yours. You could feel her breath on your skin. "I am fine. There is absolutely nothing wrong with me. Now leave me alone (Yn). You're starting to annoy me." With that, Raphtalia walked off, leaving you to breath out the immense pressure her tone put you through.

"(What is wrong with her...I have to think of something" You followed your angry lover close behind, making sure to give her a good amount of space.

*snaps* "That's it!" you shouted out loud. You quickly muffled your mouth with a hand and gave a cheeky wave at a glaring Raphtalia. ("Perhaps she just needs some alone time. Everybody needs some alone time)"

And so, today's walk was a silent one. Not a whisper, nor a peep escaped your lips. It wasn't all bad. You found the time to appreciate the world around you. Blades of grass that were once green had now turned orange. The spikey pine trees that stood guard the animals of the forest were now replaced with high-rise ore deposits. Those said animals were now much more burly; much more viscous. The Melromarc forests were populated with more whimsical creatures, but it always had its fair share of the feral and the dangerous. Everything seemed tougher here. Your eyes panned over a set of large, burly regular trees, and through the darkness you saw beasts the size of wagons dart from trees and openings. They watched you. They smelt you, listened out for you. Raphtalia had a hand on her blade.

But nothing happened. No charge, no attack. You carried on without a stich. It was at this point, as the world opened up to a plain of orange and iron, that you finally collided into Raphtalia's world once again.

"Say, Raphtalia, where are we?"

"If this map is correct, we're currently at the edge of the Dwarvern Colonies."

"Dwarvern Colonies?"

"Yes, Melromarc is a part of a small continent. There's a much bigger world out there...a world I wish to see someday..."

You took note of the twinkle in her eyes. Her gazed fixed at the looming mountain. "Have you ever been to the Dwarvern colonies before?"

"Me? I-I...no...I never even left my village"

A smile pursed your lips. "Well, dusk is settling in, so I think it's best we settle down here for now. But on the bright side, we do have that to look at." you pointed at the mountain, which was now a picturesque silhouette that was light up by the neon pink sky, accented by shades of purpe, blue and red. A fine ambience, and fittingly romantic. Although, you hazarded a guess whether or not this night would be very romantic.

The two of you made your way to a small clearing and cleared it even further. It was flat, with yellow grass that looked like white but felt like cotton dotting the landscape. You started a cozy fire in the middle and started getting to work on what to eat while Raphtalia set up the 'open-air' tent she had bought. It was really just a fabric encirclement. No top to catch the heat. Although...if it got colder, then perhaps Raphtalia would be incentivized to snuggle you more. And that certainly wasn't an issue for you.

"Hmm...Raphtalia, did we buy any food when we went into town?"

"Food? I...don't think so why?" she asked concerned.

"Oh there's no need to worry. I'm just looking here and we have enough food here to last us tonight, tomorrow, and the morning after. So either we start hunting or we start starving"

"I don't mind hunting or picking some wild veggies if you don't"

"My thoughts exactly. Anyways, I'll whip up something extra special"

"(Yn), you don't have to do that"

"I know, but I want to. So don't you worry and let me handle things"

Raphtalia chuckled. She bent down and hugged you tightly, nuzzling into your neck. "Hey..." she whispered, "I'm sorry about before. Do you mind if we talk about it after we eat?"

You smiled softly, with your heart beating happily. You kissed her cheek tenderly, even nibbling at points. With warm breaths, you made your way to her soft, fluffy ears. "Of course, Raphtalia. Anything you want" You massaged her neck with your lips; softly petting her head. Your fingers twirled and scratched the back of her ears, which caused her to moan. Softly, squeamishly, but moan, nonetheless. The tanuki yawned, which made you smile warmly at her soft face. "You go lie down. We'll eat soon alright?"

With a tired nod, Raphtalia made her way to a pair of sleeping bags. She grabbed a blanket and snuggled up atop them, her head resting on a bag of spare clothes. It was crude, but comfy. You shook your head in delight and gave a long, hearty sigh.

To be continued...

(Author's Notes)

Ok just to clarify this isn't the end of the book. This chapter took me a while to write so I decided I'll make this a two-parter which directly connects into one-another.

I've been good, if you've asked. I've just had my birthday so I decided to spoil myself with a 50 hour open world game (Ghost of Tsushima if anyone asks). But how have you guys been? Let me know down below. And stay safe guys. Stay safe, stay happy, and happy turkey day for my American pals.

Later Everyone!