Chapter 39: Hellstorm

The sun was up, and so were the two of you. The two of you enjoyed last night's shenanigans, despite the delay. The camp was packed up, breakfast was eaten and the mountain was in sight. Hand in hand, the two of you set off.

"So Raphtalia, do you know anything about this mountain?"

"This mountain is called Dragonbone Mountain. Apparently, the bones of the last Great Dragon are wrapped around the mountain. It's also home to the dwarves. I hear they have really cool inventions and machines. But what's really crazy, is that mages and wizards are non-existent in their society. They all use guns or bombs. And they all live in that one mountain."

"A whole country in a mountain...well, let's just hope they're friendly to us!"

Suddenly, a thunderous roar tore through the air. The plains above the hill seemed to erupt in chaos. You dragged Raphtalia down onto the ground and crawled away to the top of the hill.. The two of you poked your heads upward, surveying the area ahead. What you saw, however, wasn't a green field of grass, but rather an army. An army of orcs and goblins. Ogres and giants. Wolves and spiders. A crude amalgamation of monstrous evil. 

"What is going on..." whispered Raphtalia in a weak voice.

"It seems like Dragonbone is being invaded" you mumble. "(Can we afford more delays? I'm not even equipped to even harm such a force.)"

"What are we going to do?" asked a worried Raphtalia. Her tail sagged and her ears were low. Her eyes screamed of fear. 

"I...I don't-" you were interrupted by an even louder roar than before. You cried out and jammed your hands into your ears, softening the pain. You looked over to see Raphtalia wail in agony, her 2 sets of ears suffering indescribable pain. On instinct, you covered her animal ears and buried her head into your chest, as she covered her human ones. The thundering shook the ground and caused a choir of screams from beyond. What was going on up there? You tucked your head into Raphtalia's, trying to block out the painful rumblings.

And then, the thunder stopped. You panted and rolled over with your ears ringing and your vision a blurry sight. "Ahh-Ahhh!" you moaned. Raphtalia poked her head up once again, and gasped.

"H-Hey...(Yn)...you might want to see this..." You groaned and dragged yourself up the hill, surveying the area ahead. You gasped and froze in shock at what lay ahead. A field once grassy and green was now bloated with muddy shell holes. An army thousand strong was now a tattered mess of gore; their blood ran like streams along with the aftermath of hellfire. A thick fog of gunpowder choked the air and burnt the throats and eyes of those that clung on to life. From the mountains, a flock of metal mechanisms came soaring down, opening up onto the fleeing scavengers with rotating guns. 

"Are those...helicopters..." you mumbled

"What?"

"I'll...explain later. Let's get going before-" You were interrupted once again. You looked behind you to see another army. An army even bigger and more brutal than the last. A boulder was thrown from beyond the treeline, which crashed into one of the helicopters. The machine and its pilot were thrown down to earth in a fiery crash. "Oh god...(That first army...was that...were they...were they bait??) Raphtalia, we need to go NOW!" you snatched her hand and ran. You ran as fast as you could. Machine gun fire opened up behind you, causing a wail of gore to splatter tree bark. However, the aerial firing line was met with a shower of crushed up boulders. Each rock was about the size of a human hand, and when thrown at such speeds pierced the armoured plating of the helicopter. Soon, the dwarves started to drop, their bodies turned into goopy flesh before being roasted by the blazing corpses of the metal birds. The rest of the rocks exploded next to you as you ran with Raphtalia in hand. One rock pierced Raphtalia's bag, and grazed past her hip. She wailed and fell down onto the ground. "Raphtalia!" you cried, as her body fell to the floor.