Chapter 37: Rocky Road

Day 7:

The morning sun dawned onto the camp. The leaves likened to soft orange embers as the world woke up. Her eyes fluttered. She awoke to a fairytale. The soft orange sun. The last twinkle of the stars. The mystical blue of the lake. Fireflies flying like comets. Her eyes sparkled at the sight. It was like a fairytale. A fairytale of dragons and knights and princesses and...

"Good morning, Raphtalia" you greeted her, holding up a homemade breakfast

"Princes..." mumbled the tanuki

"Sorry?"

"Oh? Ahh! (Y-Yn)! I...did not see you there..." sheher eyes with a blush that paired well with the dawn light. You chuckled at her. Your heart fluttered at her beauty.

"Here, I made you breakfast" you said, kneeling down. You handed her a tray consisting of a rather warm, filling breakfast.

"It...looks good"

"How come you say that with such surprise?" you teased, smirking.

"Oh-no no no I-I...Hey!" she folded her arms and pouted at your laughter.

"Hahaha! Oh...hey look I'm sorry" you scratched the back of your neck, figuring out a way to ease out this awkward and abrupt morning. "Do you mind if I join you for breakfast under this fine sunrise, m'lady?"

Raphtalia took a quick glance at you. ("He does seem sincere...and he did make me breakfast...)" She let out a long sigh and shook her head. "As long as you don't tease me again, then we can eat together"

You wore a proud grin and sat down next to her, cuddling against her blushing body. In any light she was pretty, but in the wake or morn, she was absolutely majestic. You cuddled up next to her. Like a needy cat, or so Raphtalia thought. "You know Raphtalia, I don't quite like that deal"

"What deal?" she asked between mouthfuls of meat.

"I wanna tease you. Your cute when you blush..."

"You're annoying when your sleepy!"

You gasped. "That's so mean!"

She pouted again and used your sleepy head to stabilize her tray and eat in the sunlight. Your eyes were directed at her stomach. You could hear the grumblings of a great hall in there. The greatest factory the world had ever seen. "Man...stomachs are weird..."

"D-Don't talk about my tummy you dummy!"

She pouted and ate in silence. A long, hard silence. "Raphtalia...I'm sorry. I didn't mean to annoy you. Please don't be angry at me"

She picked her tray up and pushed your head off of her lap. "Just...eat your food" she ordered, getting up to wash her plate away. "Huh...I wonder what's wrong with her...and what...where the hell did all this hair come from?"

The walk seemed to fair better than breakfast. Raphtalia was all over the place today. One moment she was soft-spoken, then the next crankier than an old crone. Something was up, and you were going to find out what. Would it be considered nosy? Oh yes. Would it annoy her? Certainly. Why were you acting so out of character? "I think it might've been those berries..." Eureaka! You snapped your fingers with a victorious smile.

"What might've been those berries?" asked your companion, giving a curious look.

"Raphtalia, what were those berries you collected yesterday?"

"Blackberries, why?"

"Are you sure they weren't anything else"

"Yes I'm sure. I picked berries with my friends all the time growing up"