Chapter 32: Politics

People. People were so unique. They could be valuable or parasites. They could be supportive or dangerous. They could demand change, or continue tradition. But one thing was always constant about people. They are never and will never be satisfied. There's always a problem. Rising crime rates, demi-human protests, illegal slave trades, villages raided. These people are never satisfied, and I tire of it

A knock came from the door. It slowly creaked open, the warm glow of the fire stroking the soft skin of the servant boy's face. His furry ears twitching, his rugged tail shaking. When his advisors sent a demi to him, he knew only bad news followed.

"Y-Your Majes-ty" the young demi gulped "T-The council w-w-wants y-you...needs y-your wisdom o-on a very pressing matter"

Aultcray sighed and signalled for the boy to go. The door screeched shut and the distant echo of the boy's scampers could be just about heard. His patients for Demi's was waning as of late. All that talk of equality and unity irritated him. Demi's were dangerous and wild. Beasts who gave no thanks to him. He knew one thing for certain, and that was that he wasn't about to put his daughters' in harm's way of those savages.

Aultcray got up from his chair and grabbed his sceptre and made his way out the door. A troop of guards stood to attention and followed at his sides and behind him. After each wave, his troupè of guards only seemed to triple. And after the death of Idol Reiber, his company expanded tenfold. Sure, it made him feel somewhat safe, but he knew these men, no matter the skill, couldn't take down what witnesses described. Rage and pain and death itself demolished Reiber's castle. Not a wave, but a messenger from Hell. Aultcray always turned a blind eye to Reiber's...questionable antics, as long as his full support was towards the Monarchy. But now he could only pray that his ignorance wouldn't cost him his life.

The door was opened up towards the Hall, the place where the Council members would gather. As soon as he planted a foot in, Aultcray could taste sour tensions in the air. He saw the faces of some of Van Reichnott's Allies hissing venom at the snarling supports of Reiber and, by extension, the King.

"Gentleman, please, lower your voices" shouted the Steward "His Majesty King Aultcray Melromarc XXXII has arrived."

"Thank you Stuart. Everyone, please take your seats" ordered the King. Glances and glares were made to opposing parties as everyone took their seats. The Steward stepped up with a scroll and cleared his throat

Shouts, cries and anger rang in Aultcray's ears as he stepped out onto the garden balcony. The Council, once again, devolved into screechings from either side. And once again, his compromise only gave him a wink of peace before the next meeting. He wanted to side with the Parlistants and kick those Demi-loving Rollists out of the Council, but some of their members were too influential or important or powerful for their own good; even putting aside how outnumbered they were. But now all that was behind him. Now, he could finally relax.

"S-Sire..."

Aultcray's head turned with a sigh to see the same servant boy from before, now holding a tray filled to the brim with Faubley wine. "T-The Steward said you m-might enjoy a refreshing beverage on this-"

The servant boy jolted as Aultcray snatched one of the goblets. "Put that down and get out of my sight" he hissed, glaring at the boy. The servant gulped and scampered off. The pitter patter of his feet getting fainter and fainter...

The King sighed, and cleared his throat "BOY!" The feet stopped, and slowly made their way over again. "Y-Yes y-your m-majesty?"

"You're a...what are you called again?"

"A...D-Demi-Human Sire..."

"No, I meant your species" he spat with irritation

"Oh! Well, m-my species are a breed of wolves known as Okami, Your Majesty"

Aultcray nodded and turned towards his garden. The stars above his head were twinkling kindly at him, but the moon was nowhere to be seen. No matter, he thought, for there was plenty of twilight light casting over his garden. The apple trees, the shaped hedges and patches of flowers all snoozing peacefully on this somber night.

"Tell me boy" began the King "My daughter, Melty I mean, was rather fond of you, correct?"

"Y-Yes My King"

"Quite the remarkable young woman, my Melty is. Especially for such a young age. Although, she does have her moments" a chuckle escaped him. The thoughts of Melty's whines and pouts always warmed his heart, especially if she was acting so mature and graceful moments before.

"She was good to me..."

"What?" the King shot his head upward to the boy

"Ah-I...I meant she was always r-really nice. Talking to me and, and smiling at me. I...don't see a lot of smiles anymore..."

The boy looked down, his hands gripping the sides of his worn trousers. Aultcray gave a look at him, and grabbed another goblet

"Drink this, and stop speaking such things. There are many smiles in my castle, boy. Your eyes must look harder"

The boy tensed up; the goblet he held with tight hands "Y-Yes your majesty!"

The King stared down the child with strong eyes before returning his attention to the ghostly-lit gardens. "So, boy, have you heard of these...protests"

"P-Protests, Your Majesty?"

"Yes. Protests. Popping up everywhere it seems. Some Demi-humans believe that this kingdom treats them badly. So, I was curious; you see I wanted to know how you felt about Demi-human treatment. I mean, my Melty took a great interest in you, so you must be an intelligent lad, even for a Demi."

The young servant looked down, the goblet in his hand shaking slightly. "W-Well, I think Melromarc does a great job a-at providing its Demi-human citizens with...well...stability and position that a previous Melromarc couldn't even fathom."

"I'm not speaking of the past boy, I am speaking of the present. What do you think of Melromarc compared to other countries?"

The boy locked eyes with the King; not even for a second. But, Aultcray knew that what he saw in that child's eyes was nothing but raw fear. The boy grasped the goblet with force, and dunked his head down to take the sip. The wine was spat out back into the goblet, a sour taste lingering in his mouth. The boy felt his heart stop. Gripping the sides of his seat, the young servant cleared his throat.

"W-Well...y-your majesty...I...wouldn't know. All m-my life I've lived in Melromarc, I couldn't p-possibly tell you how your Kingdom compares."

Aultcray nodded. He could tell the boy was lying; it was clear as day even in darkness. But the thing looked like he was about to drop dead from fear. He sighed and raised an ageing hand 

"You're excused boy. Take your goblet and run along back to your quarters, and be prepared for a summons tomorrow."

"A-A summons, Sire?"

"Yes. As much as I never thought to admit it, I need a Demi's thoughts on this matter. Now off with you." Aultcray waved his hand, shooing away the meek servant. His scampers could be heard echoing throughout the starry night. Aultcray huffed and sat back in his chair, bringing a sip of wine to his lips.

(Yn)...if you can hear me. Please...please protect my daughter. I beg of you