So Vows Uncertainty

Start from the beginning

Khaana scowled "oh but the dramatics of men..." she whispered, "Did you kill my family?" Ragnar asked. "he didn't! you've been told - it's all a lie." Brida called out. "I am speaking to Uhtred." Ragnar huffed. "and I am becoming impatient. Osbert, please..." Khaana said, she spoke calmly and rested a hand on Uhtred's shoulder, "there's little he can do to you here." She promised, turning her gaze to Ragnar "He knows he'd need to overcome me to do so."

Uhtred pulled out the blade that Ragnar the Elder had broken years ago during the battle that lost him his birth father. "You believe I could kill our mother, father, sister. if you think I could kill our family," Uhtred tossed the broken sword to the ground and looked Ragnar square in the eyes "Your revenge is just there...take it." He said.

Khaana crossed her arms as she watched the two men expectantly as silence loomed. 

Ragnar exhaled and moved towards Uhtred, "I knew it." He breathed, arms stretched out wide, he brought Uhtred into a tight hug "I had to be sure, but I knew it." he said. "lesson learned of the day?" Khaana asked walking to stand at Brida's side, "Men undervalue the words of their women." She hummed. Brida raised booth brows as a smile inched across her face, "oh?" Brida asked, trying to contain her laughter.

However, Uhtred could not and laughed into the furs around Rangar's shoulders. Ragnar turned to look at Khaana "If that were the case I would listen better." He said, letting go of Uhtred he took Khaana's hand. Khaana looked about confused for a moment, "that isn't how I meant it." She said quickly, snatching her hand away. 

"Come on, It's cold, lets get the fire going." Ragnar urged.

Khaana felt oddly content in the company of the trees as she watched Ragnar, Uhtred and Brida carry on happily. She sat quietly by the fireside skinning a rabbit, listening to Ragnar tell them of his adventures over the years. Glancing up for a moment, Khaana caught a sad glimmer in Uhtred's eyes and she knew.

Uhtred caught Khaana in a long gaze, she gave him a slow nod and reached for the small pouch she kept tied to her hip. She peered inside at what few treasures she had and sighed. It wouldn't be enough to make amends for what she would need to do next.

She studied Brida, and under her stare, Brida could hardly look he rin the eye. "oh, pup..." Khaana thought to her. Brida sniffled and went to add more rabbit meat into the stew. "I am fine, Khaana," Brida murmured, taking a seat next to her. "No, you're not-"

"Yes. yes, I am. There was nothing that could be done, I knew it - when I felt different." Brida said, her voice distant. Khaana gave Brida a hard gaze "There is still something you are not telling me." She said. Brida glanced at her but said nothing. "Only that I am tired..." Brida sighed, leaning over to rest her head on Khaana's shoulder. 

Khaana being dissatisfied gave a long sigh, still, she let Brida rest against her, and went back to skinning rabbits. Losing a child, even if not a full child was one of the most exhausting affairs there is. She wouldn't push her, the time they had left together she would make it as comfortable as possible.

Ragnar finished telling the tale most of the Danes were told regarding Uhtred and the death of Ragnar the Elder. Uhtred watched Ragnar mortified, "I would nev- It was Kjartan." Uhtred said, pain and anger in his words. "He attacked, and set the fire." He said again.

Ragnar slowly lowered his waterskin, wiping away the stray droplets from his beard, the news seemed to not set well with them. He looked at Khaana who gave a silent nod, "If we could have saved them, we would have." Uhtred added. Ragnar shook his head, He could it all over Uhtred's face that he spoke the truth, "I knew, I couldn't believe a word of what I was hearing. Nothing of it made sense." Ragnar said quietly.