CHAPTER TWO

"i'm a sad story
you'd best forget"
~midara

Salem

Full Sail University was the place to wrestle. NXT was the brand to be on.

I had made up my mind the second I went out there for the taping of NXT for December 13th. Ember Moon and Peyton Royce were having a classic women's title match when the post-match shenanigans began.

I watched as Billie Kay charged the champ. The two went at it for a while before Hunter instructed Nikki Cross to make her way to the ring and break up the fight. I stood my ground at the curtain, shaking the nerves from my hands as the adrenaline rushed through me like a drug.

That is why I loved wrestling. In a world where my closest family chose addictions over me, I chose this job to be my drug of choice.

And before I knew it, I was running down to the ring with a chair in hand, beating down Nikki and Ember again and again. I continued to assert my dominance when I was out in the ring and I wondered why Adam was so scared that I would fall into obscurity without him when my booking seemed to be just as good as his.

"Salem Dawn! Salem Dawn!" the crowd shouted as I smirked. My black-painted nails moved towards the NXT Women's Championship belt as I noticed my yellow Undisputed Era sweat band around my wrist. The creative team suggested that I wear it to hint my alliance with the group though I hadn't yet proven it on-screen.

That was to come.

My arm hoisted the title above my head, like I had at TakeOver. This time, Adam Cole wasn't by my side. He was never supposed to be there to begin with, but Adam never liked the spotlight being on anyone else.

Sure, the guy gave me a main event match to boost my career, yet he was the one who won that match. The fact that he had a problem with me blew my mind. I simply took advantage of an opportunity just like he would.

I was still angry at him and the way he acted towards me. I didn't need his help—he just wanted the recognition and attention. I was the newest attraction on NXT, I had all the eyes on me so he chased that. That got on my nerves.

Something else that got on my nerves was the fact that Adam fucking Cole followed me everywhere I went. I immediately rolled my eyes as I saw his, wanting nothing more than to knock the smug smile off of his face. The Panama City Playboy was leaning against the wall in the gorilla with his arms crossed and his long hair pulled into a bun and while I found it extremely attractive, the only thing I could muster was a glare.

I had made my intentions clear to him in the locker room after the stunt he pulled. I was not here to play games.

"Great job out there, Salem. Go ahead and get ready for the next segment. I'll call for you in an hour or two," Hunter shook me of my look, earning a smile from me as I gladly exited the area to leave Adam behind me.

Of course, he followed. He always followed.

Imitating our boss, Adam filled my ears with a "great job out there, Salem," before I cut him off by turning around. His body immediately stopped as he looked down at me and smirked, his icy blue eyes wondering all over my body before I spoke.

I couldn't blame him; I worked hard for my looks. And sure, maybe a part of me is glad he was checking me out. But, the other part is telling me to walk away before I got myself into the same situations I always do.