CHAPTER ONE

"I wish
I could go back
to the day I met you
and just walk away."

Adam

I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her on the screen.

Salem Dawn was at NXT TakeOver: WarGames 2017. The petite brunette was in the middle of the ring as she attacked Ember Moon and the rest of the women with a steel chair after the fatal four way match.

I had been watching on a monitor in catering with Bobby and Kyle and almost spit out my water at the sight.

It had been a year since I last saw her brown eyes looking into mine, and I can't say I've ever forgot. I tried to forget; I tried to act like what she did to me didn't hurt me. However, it affected me so much more than I put out.

I knew I would see her again. I knew she would get to the WWE; I just didn't expect to see her so soon. Yet, there she was, in the middle of the ring.

Beautiful.

"You have to be fucking kidding me," Kyle spoke, knowing very well the history I have with Salem. Bobby, a man of few words, just chuckled to himself. All I could do was stare at the screen until something made me leave my seat.

I don't know what that something was, I just knew that I had to go out there. I needed to go out to the ring and see her for myself.

Walking into the gorilla, I saw Hunter staring at the monitor.

Hunter: my mentor, my friend. Why didn't he tell me she was debuting tonight?

"Hunter," I spoke, catching his attention as his smirk at the screen turned towards me. "You didn't tell me Salem Dawn was signing."

I heard footsteps behind me and assumed they were Bobby and Kyle.

"I didn't think Salem's business had anything to do with you," Hunter furrowed his eyebrows, a curious hint in his voice as if he was drawing a conclusion between the two of us.

No one jumps to conclusions in my business. I would not have the other people in this company think that I was in love with the woman in the ring because I wasn't.

"You know her and I had a five star match in ROH," I spoke, anger rising inside of me and I couldn't understand why. She shouldn't make me so emotional—she's nothing to me.

Hunter shrugged, "and now she is signed to WWE and will be an active member of the NXT roster."

I fell silent. I couldn't understand my emotions in the moment. Was I happy for her? For me? I thought I would never want to see her again, but suddenly I looked forward to it—even after what she did to me.

"What do you have planned for her?" I asked, suddenly standing up for her. I felt protective over her, even if she broke my heart. My body moved closer to him, looking at him eye-to-eye.

Hunter could feel the tension building, hearing my voice lower. I could feel Bobby place a hand on my shoulder, persuading me to back away from my boss but I couldn't. I needed to make sure she wouldn't fall victim to spending her nights in catering watching the clock tick until midnight.