Dane

Dane couldn't even believe how rude that girl had been. Dane couldn't even begin to describe how strong the urge to just punch her right across the jaw was. Dane couldn't even tell you how attracted he was to her.

   There was something about a girl - however stubborn - who knew how to stand her ground that he found so alluring. And even the thought of her instantly made his blood boil but although he might not want to admit it... Dane definitely wouldn't mind coming face to face with her again.

   His first impressions were correct; she was a stubborn loud mouth, who liked to look down on people, but his opinion on her had changed and he wondered if she felt the same.

   It had been almost three weeks since their argument and Dane had seen her three times at the bar each Friday. Whenever they locked gazes, they would immediately glare at each other before quickly turning away but they never had any contact aside from that.

   Oliver would sometimes jokingly elbow him in the ribs and whisper rude jokes about her in his ear. Dane would push him away and scowl at him.

   "There is nothing going on between us." He would say.

   "You look like a bitch in heat. I'm pretty sure there's something there." Oliver would reply.

   "Like what?"

   "Like a hell of a lot of sexual tension. I think you are stuck between ripping each other's throats out and ripping each other's clothes off." Then Oliver would wink and saunter away for another drink leaving Dane gawking after him.

   Dane stares at himself in the dirty mirror behind the bar, and adjusts his Santa hat that rests atop his mop of unruly hair. He had always hated the annual Christmas parties that the bar held. He hated having to dress up and feel uncomfortable in the itchy Santa costume. Everyone around him was dressed in white and red and there was a mess of long beards and old floppy hats. Red and white were not Dane's colours. He looked far better in black. Black and only black. With the occasional green or grey.

   He sighs and looks around the large room. The pool table was currently occupied by a dozen men in their forties with the occasional woman hanging over their shoulder. Girls and boys were dancing and making out everywhere. Large groups of friends were taking shots and laughing loudly. Over-played Christmas songs were being belted through the old speakers. A Christmas tree - covered from head to toe in all sorts of decorations - stood in the corner.

   Suddenly, Dane spots a short brunette swaying next to the music player, her head bobbing to the music and her eyes closed. She occasionally took a sip of the drink in her hand; it was red with a pink umbrella stuck in the top.

   He cleared his throat, took a final swig of his Stella Artois and headed in her direction, pushing past crowds of people and grumbling slightly when drunken people knocked into him. Eventually he reached her. She was slightly turned away from him so he couldn't see her face properly and her Santa hat was drooping into her eyes. But from what he could see, Dane decided she was cute.

   He cleared his throat, "can I get you a drink or anything?" he looks around impassively, as if their conversation is no big deal. It's an act he has perfected over the years and the girls seem to fall for it.

   "Ugh, it just isn't my day." The girl mutters and Dane's eyes immediately snap down to look at her; he would recognise that voice anywhere. Now her face is uncovered, it's clear as day to see that yes, this is in fact the girl he argued with three weeks prior. He groans loudly and she rolls his eyes at him.

   "If I had known it was you, I wouldn't have bothered coming over, trust me."

   "Well I'm glad to hear it."

   "What are you doing away from your spot anyway?"

   "Excuse me?" she narrows her eyes at him. Dane shrugs with one shoulder and returns his gaze with hers after doing a quick scope of the room.

   "You're normally in the corner of the bar. Yet today you're over here."

   "What about it?"

   "It's just awfully adventurous of you."

   She scowls, folding her arms, "someone took my seat when I arrived." And to prove her point she nods towards the corner where a couple sit staring lovingly into each other's eyes. Dane cringes.

   "So I see."

   "Are you going to leave yet?"

   "You know, you never did apologise for swearing at me." he ignores her question and smirks at the icy glower she shoots him.

   "Don't hold your breath."

   "Don't worry, I wasn't planning to."

   "Oh good, I was beside myself with worry." She drawls sarcastically.

   "Well that's always lovely to hear." She doesn't seem to acknowledge his statement as she just takes another sip of her drink and stares aimlessly in front of her, so Dane tries again, "I'm Dane."

   She looks up at him at this and nods slowly.

   "O-kay... and I'm I don't give two shits."

   "Wow. So original!" he rolls his eyes, wondering how she even makes friends.

   "I'm slightly drunk; do you think I have time to be original?"

   "I'm disappointed. I expected more from you Nor." Dane smirks, recalling when her friend came over and asked if they could leave. Nora's eyes snap up to his.

   "What did you just call me?"

   "Nor? Nora? That's your name, right?"

   "It is, but I didn't give you permission to call me that."

   "What would you rather I call you? It?"

   "I'd rather you didn't acknowledge me at all."

   "It's a bit too late for that Nor."

   "I don't think I like you very much Dane." She crinkles her nose up at him and he laughs, laying a heavy hand atop her head and patting her as if she were a dog before she shoves his hand away and snarls in his direction.

   "Now, now, Nora. There's no need to get all grumpy. Not when the Christmas pub quiz is going to begin soon."

   "I don't know who you think you are but I-"

   "Hey, didn't you have blonde hair?" he interrupts her mid spiel and if looks could kill, Dane would be in his grave right now.

   "It's a wig dumbass."

   "Okay. I prefer blonde on you anyways."

   Nora walks away after that.