Dane

Dane Auld had always thought the girl with peculiarly light hair was stubborn. He didn't think much of her.

She only seemed to come to the local bar a Friday night - sometimes a Saturday but that was rare - followed by three other girls who didn't stand out as much as she did and weren't much different to all the rest of the girls who were littered around the bar. At first Dane thought she looked interesting; dressed in fitted dresses and sneakers, looking like she was out to have a good time but then she would just sit at the far end of the bar and get drunk before her friends could drag her away and then they'd leave.

But her orders! That's what infuriated Dane the most. She was snobby and seemed to have a stick shoved so far up her arse, not even the world's leading surgeon could remove it. Dane would listen to her spiel of ridiculous orders and the expectations she anticipated to be met with each drink, and he would roll his eyes and shoot sympathetic glances towards the bartender.

She was so self-involved and Dane guessed she was one of those girls who never took no for an answer.

And when men came over to chat her up she would just look up at them in distaste, lead them on and then tell them to fuck off, swiftly humiliating them. At first Dane thought it was entertaining - he always liked a challenge - but it soon became clear she just thought she was better than everyone else.

Dane longed for someone to walk up to her and give her a reality check, look down on her instead of the other way around.

But men were fickle and tended to do just about everything women wanted them to do and for that, Dane was disappointed on behalf of man-kind.

"So are you doing anything later on tonight?" the pretty blonde with much-too-red red lipstick on asked him, tracing patterns down his chest. His eyes flitted from the girl across the room to the one in front of him and he half-smiled. He remembered her name was Amy.

Dane wasn't one of those pricks who could never remember a girl's name.

"Yeah I think so."

"And what's that?"

"I'm taking a shower."

"Anyone going to be in there with you?"

"Well my roommate has asked me about this before but I told him no."

"What?"

"Well I'm not gay."

"O-kay?"

"I don't have anything against gays though. They're cool. They always have nice hair."

"They do?"

"You have quite nice hair too."

"I'm not gay."

"I don't recall saying you were."

"You're funny."

"Thank you. So what are you doing tonight?"

"Well I'm feeling rather horny."

"And that's my cue. Sorry, but I'm really not interested." He grinned at her, picked up his drink and turned away as he made his way over to the sofa where his roommate had already found his pick of the night and was busy sticking his tongue down the guy's throat. Dane shook his head at Oliver slightly, he had a boyfriend and Dane couldn't remember how many times he had tried to persuade his friend to stop getting drunk and making out with other guys but he never listened. He had commitment issues.

Looking back over his shoulder at his old spot near the bar, he found Amy glaring daggers at him and Dane cringed. He had had her eating out of the palm of his hand and if he really wanted to go home with her tonight he would've, but he just wasn't feeling it. Not tonight. That other girl had annoyed him far too much with her stupid long order. He knew he shouldn't think about it too much because he always got into a bad mood afterwards but sometimes he just couldn't help it.

He looks over at her sitting alone in the far corner of the bar, taking a sip of her lemonade, a plate of ice beside her long glass and looking rather satisfied. He scowls. She looks up. They make eye contact. She scowls back.