Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

It felt odd to be getting ready for a Quidditch match without her friends. Usually, the hours before games would be spent giving pep talks to Ron in an attempt to ease his nerves, making posters while painting their faces in house colors, and exchanging friendly banter with her friends whenever Ravenclaw was playing against Gryffindor.

She had never been too keen on sports, but Quidditch games grew to be some of her favorite memories. She wondered if this match could possibly make her feel that same euphoric feeling, but she doubted that it was possible in the absence of her friends. While she may have still been a student at Hogwarts, she was painfully aware of how she would always be an outsider in this time.

The sound of the door unlocking pulled her from her thoughts and she turned in time to see Zelda walking into their room, her curls unruly and her robes disheveled as she smugly plopped onto her bed.

"Zelda Shacklebolt, have you just done a walk of shame?" Avalon asked, trying to bite back her grin as she looked at her flushed roommate who rolled her eyes before hiding her face in her hands.

"Oh, hush," she said, her cheeks glowing red as Avalon giggled. "I came back to our room last night to grab some things and I noticed your bed was awfully empty, too, Miss Hendrix!"

"I spent the night by Xavier's side. Madam Bardot had to give him Skele-Gro," Avalon replied with a sigh.

Zelda's face contorted into a look of pity. "I've heard that stuff is bloody awful."

"I think he would agree," Avalon said before taking a quick pause. "Also, a slight update..."

"Do tell," Zelda said, propping herself up on her elbows.

"He asked me to be his girlfriend last night...and I said yes."

Zelda's jaw dropped near a meter to the floor before she burst into laughter and said, "Funny thing is, Jane asked me the same thing."

"Z, that's amazing! I'm so happy for you two," Avalon exclaimed, clapping her hands together before a pout washed over her face. "Wait. Does that mean you'll be leaving me alone on Slytherin's side to sit with Jane and Gryffindor today at the match?"

"Oh my," Zelda said, laughing. "Even if I weren't dating a Gryffindor, I still wouldn't sit on Slytherin's side. It's alright, though, you'll still have your boyfriend. Merlin, I never thought the day would come when Xavier Lestrange goes steady with anyone. I always knew you were something special, but you've outdone yourself this time." Avalon rolled her eyes, but her smile lingered on her lips as she went back to getting ready. Zelda watched her closely before asking, "Is that what you're wearing to the game?"

"I was planning on it," Avalon replied, a sudden wave of uncertainty hitting her. "Why?"

"Last I checked, black is not a house color for Slytherin," Zelda pointed out.

"Need I remind you that I'm not a Slytherin?"

"Today you are," her roommate said matter-of-factly, taking out her wand and pointing it at Avalon. Her black dress turned emerald, a stripe of green painted its way into her hair, and silver stars speckled across her cheeks. Zelda let out a small chirp of satisfaction, smiling at her own work. "Much better."

"And what of yourself?" Avalon asked, crossing her arms.

"I was getting there!" Zelda replied before flicking her wand in her own direction, painting her face with a stripe of bright red and morphing her jumper into Gryffindor's colors. "Satisfied?"

Avalon grinned and nodded, "Very much so. You look-"

The abrupt sound of a knock cut her off. Both girls narrowed their eyes on their door, shrugging at each other, before Avalon strode over and cracked it open.