Chapter Twelve

Warnings: Mature rating, adult content, sensitive subject matter, language, violence, character death (*new warning)
___________________________________
"What are you doing here?" Jackson leaned against the front door.

Quinn took a deep breath and smiled. "Today's the first day of Spring Break. The snow finally melted, and..." She stepped close and placed her hand atop Jackson's chest. "I want a running partner."

"We can't."

"Are you actually worried about the dogs? Come on. I mean, seriously. There's something called overkill." She rolled her eyes. "That was back in November. They can't still be here. They had to move on when it was so cold."

"I don't know." He shook his head. "Someone died."

"And do we even know the dogs did it? It could have been a homeless guy. Then the dogs just took advantage of it."

"Great mental image, there. Thanks."

"I thought I was the girl in this relationship."

"I don't typically think about bodies before breakfast."

"Sorry. I would be really appreciative." She smiled suggestively at him. "Maybe I could help you think of a different kind of body."

Jackson frowned and shook his head in defeat. He turned and pointed back into the house. "Can you wait a couple of hours? I'm on kid duty."

"Where's Kennedy? Can't she watch them? We won't be gone that long." Quinn peeked at Madison and Reagan playing video games in the living room.

"Oh, I wouldn't be so sure about that." He touched her face and stroked her cheek. Leaning close to her, his lips brushed against her ear, he whispered, "You know we always end up in the clearing." He backed away and gave her a crooked grin and let out a long breath. "Mom drove Kennedy to get her braces off. It's just me and the munchkins."

"I heard that!" Madison yelled from the living room. "I am not a munchkin!"

Quinn laughed. "No, you're not." She looked back at Jackson. "That one hears everything."

"She does." Jackson nodded. "Do you want to come in?" He gestured over his shoulder. "We can go after Mom and Kennedy get back."

"I guess that would be ok. It's more fun to run with a partner."

"Especially when we have to stop for a little break."

"No." She shook her head. "No breaks today. My time wasn't good enough at the last meet. You know that. I have to get in shape for next weekend. The NYU scout is going to be there; and she said if I have a good time, the scholarship is mine." Quinn reached into her pocket and pulled out her car keys. Pointing the keys at the car, it locked with a honk. "So, what are we playing?" Quinn took a seat on the brown leather couch and looked at the television.

"Thanks so much for coming over, John." Elena shut the door as John stepped into the living room. "I think you may have saved Jackson's life." When Jenna had called to let Elena know she wouldn't be able to watch the Elena's kids while she was at her weekly doctor's appointment, saying she was slightly annoyed was putting it mildly. Jackson would be lucky if he were un-grounded in time from prom in six weeks.

John shook his head dismissively. "It wasn't any trouble. I was already in town for the council meeting." He cocked his head to the side. "I expected to see you there."

"Not today." She waved vaguely at the stairs. "I wanted to stay home with them this morning since I had the appointment this afternoon."

"Which I don't want to make you late for. How are you doing?" He glanced down at her stomach.