25| Shadows Have No Masters

Start from the beginning

I took action immediately by running toward a trunk. I ran parallel upwards, kicking off to shoot myself into the first Zenx to disrupt my plans.

I struck a whip of water at the back of a group of Zenx and they began to turn.

"Jaxton, now!"

Jaxton let his shadow extend and the Zenxs saw and began to run, going on a wild stampede... right over the body. Jaxton dodged last minute, throwing himself to a safer place before he got trampled into a mush.

After the commotion was over and the Zenx had moved away from the area, Jaxton and I both stood up from the ground, giving each other a look.

He stifled a laugh and shook his head, "That was wild... crazy!"

"But it worked," I let out a breath of relief, approaching him, looking at his dark emerald eyes. He stared back but his gaze didn't last long. His eyes flicked to the deeper part of the woods and I thought I heard voices.

"What's that?" I grew alert again, grabbing my sword but he held my arm to stop me.

"It was nothing," he said, letting off a reassuring smile. "But we shouldn't stay here for too long."

He saw the questions in my eyes but he didn't give me the opportunity to ask them. He nudged me with a tug of my arm and I followed him, not willing to stay any longer in this forest myself.

***

Throughout the whole journey back, Jaxton was acting unusually cautious. It was making me nervous too, but I didn't comment on it; I just stayed extra alert. However, Jaxton and I made it back to my dorm safely. No one saw us with the blessing of the night, and nothing attacked us from the shadows.

When I got inside, my room was spotless. There was a faint, perfume smell in the air. It might've belonged to Vel's powders and potions. While Vel probably went back to her dorm to wait for us.

I threw the balcony windows wide but didn't turn on the light. I didn't need someone immediately noticing that there were movements in my room. I went directly to the bathroom instead, using my sword as a light source.

I took off my bandanas and gloves and washed my hands and face. I could hear Jaxton's breath and movement outside, no doubt doing the same.

"Feel free to take a breather here," I decided to say. I flicked off the tape and wiped my face clean. I went outside and saw him flop himself onto a chair, rubbing his face. He didn't seem to be aware that I was in the same room as him now.

"You look tired," I said quietly, putting Reflecta with his sword on the table. Guilt rose like a tidal wave. I had noticed his exhaustion when I went to look for him in his room, but now, he looked like he desperately needed some sleep. But Jaxton looked up from his hand and tried his best to give me a grin, but even that grin looked like a tired one.

"A bit," he replied quietly, staring at the shadows in the room. "Can we uh... turn on the lights?"

I raised my brows and my eyes wandered around the darkness in the room. Was Jaxton actually scared of the dark?

"Sure," I didn't question him. Not yet. Jaxton was so tired and... nervous that he forgot to ask me about Vel and the three bodies. As I moved, though, there was a chilliness pricking my back. I stared at my faint shadow moving on the wall and the dark places of my dorm. There was something wrong with the way darkness looked.

I reached for the light switch, my fingers inches away before something pulled me back. I let out a surprised yelp. I heard the urgency in Jaxton's voice as I was drawn back by... shadows.